Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #1 
hissien

Question Does anyone have personal experience keeping Betta Splendens (M) with Neon Tetras?

I have spent the last few hours searching for answers and have gotten mixed answers. My friend really wants to have both neon tetras and a male betta. Do you think they will nip at his betta?

Information:
Occupants(planned): Carter his red veiltail male betta, and ten neon tetras
Tank size: 20 gallons(cycled for two months)
Plants: Aponogeton bulbs, wisteria, java fern, moneywort, and Crypts
PH: 7.4
Substrate: sand
Acclimation method: Drip method
Temperament: Carter is very docile, but back up tank set up and cycled.
Further questions: Do you think the neon tetras will nip him? How many should he add at once?(Doesn't want to over load the system) Is there anything he should watch for?

Thank you and happy new year!
hissien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

it should be fine, but it depends on the male.
The tetras may become a snack, or he may decide he likes watching them.

They shouldnt nip, but he should keep an eye.

Add 2-3 at a time, and i dont know if 10 would be a good idea, 5 or 6 might be better.

Just watch him for stress, he will be a little upset for a while. Mainly watch when it comes to feeding time, he may turn into a piggy and try to eat all the Tetras food.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #3 
chrissylee13

recently in my area we opened a new petsmart store. and i've been working there in pet care since we opened. originally we put a male betta in with neon tetras to show compatibility. well, the next day i found the betta looking as if his fins were just falling apart!! needless to say he didn't make it even after we put him into our fishy sick tank and he was by himself. so personally, i wouldn't risk it with the neons. but if your friend did put neons in i'm not sure i would do 10 all at once. maybe try a few and see how it goes and add more if they seem to be able to leave each other alone.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 
hissien

So should I tell him to get rasboras like me? They are not aggressive to my betta nor do they attack his fins.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #5 
hissien

But wait (sorry if this is not the case) but were there plastic plants in that tank perchance? The reason I ask is that neon tetras most likely wouldn't completely shred a bettas fins if they were just introduced, the tetras would be still freaking out from acclimation..... But again sorry if it was not the case.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #6 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylee13 View Post
recently in my area we opened a new petsmart store. and i've been working there in pet care since we opened. originally we put a male betta in with neon tetras to show compatibility. well, the next day i found the betta looking as if his fins were just falling apart!! needless to say he didn't make it even after we put him into our fishy sick tank and he was by himself. so personally, i wouldn't risk it with the neons. but if your friend did put neons in i'm not sure i would do 10 all at once. maybe try a few and see how it goes and add more if they seem to be able to leave each other alone.
The tanks at petstores are small and generally overstocked. I don't think it's necessarily a good comparison because a home tank has very different conditions and stock levels. A betta generally would be okay with tetras.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #7 
tahbi

When i had a chinese algae eater, he tore my betta's fins. The neons had noticed and would take turns eating his tail. ): After returning the CAE and hospitalizing my betta for a month, his fins healed and the neons never nipped again. Thats my experience. (:
tahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #8 
Myrtaceae

I've kept a betta with 9 neon tetras in a 29 gallon, but I'm gathering that was not typical. My neons schooled pretty closely most of the time, and that particular betta basically ignored all the other fish-- so it sounds like it really depends on the particular fish, and that's so hard to tell without introducing them.

I'm starting to realize I just got lucky and probably would not try it again unless I definitely had a separate home already set up for the betta if it did not work out.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I've kept a betta with 10 neons in both a 10g and a 20gL. As always, it really depends on the betta's personality. A key to success is to keep a school of neons no smaller than 6. The more tetras, the more likely they are to leave the betta alone. Neons also like lots of plants to weave in and out of. If they have things to occupy them, like hidey holes and plants, then your chances of success just shot up a lot. :)

Chinese Algae Eaters get big and MEAN. No wonder he picked on the betta. They get mixed up with the less aggressive (and more efficient) Siamese Algae Eater and Flying Fox.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #10 
hissien

So I will tell him to try it and keep you guys updated on the success or failure. Thank you for your help, if you have any last minute advice please share.
Posted via Mobile Device