Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #1 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

Hi :)

New here, Have kept betta's for about 35 years now, i currently have 6, All bar one and in 54L tanks, my prize possesion is a Halfmoon mustard gas male who has a whole 180L tank to himself.

I dont agree with betta's being kept in anything thatisnt a tank over 30 Litres and does not have a filter/heater.

My oldest betta is a royal blue VT male who is fastly approaching his 8th birthday - Proof that if you look after, and treat this fish with respect and understanding, they can live alot longer than the average age expectancy of 2-3 years. i'm also from the UK so i guess my views will differ from many users on here, again you'll just have to get over that, as we are all here for the happy life of our betta's arent we? :)
Bettas DESERVE BETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

8 years? That's very long. You must be spoiling them rotten. LOL I need to learn a lot from you.

Pictures of your babies would be nice.....
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #3 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

Thanks, yep a whole 8 years, had him from when he was 3 months so i know he is definately that age, Variety of food, new things to explore and the occasional 'treat' is what ive brought him up on, he is a once in a lifetime warrior.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The more I spoil them, the faster I kill them????
The ones I neglect, lives longer. But none exceeds 2 yrs. But I can't house them in that big a tank alone.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #5 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

A good sized tank that gives them plenty of room to swim about and exercise isnt a bad thing, if you heavily plant the tank then there is no problems - one of the reasons i joined this forum was because of the stuff i was reading, and how wrong so many people treat their betta - and wonder why they are ill all the time.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #6 
tpocicat

Please let us know more about how you take care of your Bettas, I sure would love my bettas to live 8 years! I'm sure most of the people on this forum would agree with me.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #7 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

I guess it comes down to the individual owners willingness to provide the very best environment they can for their fish, ive never ever and will never ever keep a betta in anything less than 50L of water, its cruel and it doesnt give the betta the room he needs to explore and exercise, Fresh water every other day and a constant temp to match their natural habitat and varieties of food as to make sure he doesnt get bored and keep him guessing whats next, they Really are smart fish and should be treated that way, above all i think My Respect for the fish has had a major impact in keeping him alive this long.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think I've had one to live for more than 2.5 years but I've got a couple that have passed the 2.5 mark.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #9 
Moclam

Hello there, mate. Nice to meet you. I'd love to see pictures of you're fish sometime, tank setups, what have you. I enjoy pictures~

You're in the UK are you? I'm half Irish. Born and raised in the US however. Not much of an accent because of such sadly.
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #10 
Jrf456

13 GALLONS AND 47 GALLONS FOR ONE BETTA? Omg you're amazing.

I only wish I could provide that for my fishies.. I plan on upgrading to 3 gallon tanks soon!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote