Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 
PopcornFairy

Petco Broken Urn Ornament

Hello everyone! I had read that bettas like caves as places to hide so, being on a budget, I got mine the Petco Broken Urn Ornament. However in the two days I've had him he's only swam around it, never going into it. Since it is taking up a good chunk of his tank I was wondering if I should take it out since he seems uninterested in it? Or maybe turn it on it's side so the light doesn't shine in (so it will be more like a cave). Or maybe I should just leave it as is so as to not freak him out with a major change while he's still getting used to his new home. What do you think?

PopcornFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 
kfryman

I would turn it over because usually it is good to have spots where they can escape the light if they please.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

I would turn it as well.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #4 
PitGurl

Some bettas just don't like to swim in things. I've had a couple bettas that wouldn't swim inside a cave no matter what it looked like. Some prefer plant cover to hide in. As the other suggested I would turn it on it's side and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #5 
PopcornFairy

Alright so I've turned it on it's side. He's come achingly close to going in but seems to change his mind at the last second. At least he seems to like the shade under the neck of the pot. Although I can't seem to figure out a way to position it so no light is coming in at all since there's a small hole in the back like the one visible in the picture. Maybe if I turn it on it's head and bury the top in the gravel... Well, we'll see what he thinks of it on it's side for a day or two first.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #6 
registereduser

I have the exact same one! I chose it because it is smooth and won't hurt the fish. Mine is tilted on the side and baby Pooh has spent some time in it already. I plan on getting plants for around it for a better hiding place. That's Pookie the catfish in the photo. oh, and 3 of my cats LOL

registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #7 
PopcornFairy

I just wanted to update this thread (in case anyone else was considering getting this decoration) to say that my betta has been using it since I tipped it over. It's still not his favorite hiding spot but he's been spending much more time in it. Thank you to everyone for the advice.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #8 
Sassington

Oh my goodness... we almost have the exact same set up for our tanks lol... I have the same jug in mine but it's pink and we have almost identical plants.. I have neon rocks for the bottom thanks to my 6 year old picking them out but that's too funny... I bought the jug a while ago and my fish didn't want anything to do with it... which was very frustrating... after a few weeks, I saw him hiding out in it briefly - he never really does much hiding in it - only once in a while - but it seemed to be the least dangerous decoration I could find at Petco - everything else seemed so harmful!! :(

Glad your fish is finally enjoying his hidey spot.. :)
Attached Images

Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #9 
mjoy79

I bought this decoration several days ago, but have yet to use it. Once I get it set up in a tank, I'll post a pic here :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #10 
mjoy79

I re-did Justin Furstenfeld's 3 Gallon this evening and put in the new jug. I replaced his stone substrate with sand. :)
Attached Images

mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote