Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #1 
MissFutureVet

The Story Behind MissFutureVet and Her Betta

Hi Everyone!
Im MissFutureVet. My real name is Sequoyah. I live in Virginia. Im a Freshman in college studying Biology with hopes to eventually become a veterinarian. I kinda wanted to tell everyone how i got my first betta.

While I was in the post office at my school, I saw a container with a sickly looking fish in it. Luckily on the lid of it its said crowntail betta, so i knew what it was. No one was around so I assumed that he was abandoned. and i REFUSED to let him just sit there and die, so I took him to my room and left a note with my email address where he was just in case anyone actually did "lose" him. Of course no one sent an email, so he officially became mine =)
I knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about fish. so I immediately started to do research on him I bought a one gallon starter tank (because that was all I could afford) that came with food, a net and a plant. and thanks to a few friends of mine i with a betta, i acquired some water conditioner as well.
I put him in his new tank the next day and he looked TERRIBLE! I thought he was so ugly!!!! his fins damaged and I though that his tail was damaged to the point of no return (little did know that a crowntail beta's tails was supposed to look like that)
I tried to feed him and he didn't eat. I thought maybe he just didn't like the food. so I bought bloodworms because i read that they are a betta's favorite treat and he would eat them. I thought he was going to die. After trying to feed him multiple times a day with no avail, on the 3rd day, I saw him gobble up his first bloodworm (it was a proud day for this new betta mommy!!) and from then on, his life has only gotten better
He now resides in a 2.5 gallon heated tank with a filter and rocks and plants and water conditioner. He gets fed a varied diet of bloodworms, pellets and flakes. Only the best for him! He now is a beautiful solid red with long flowing dorsal and anal fin, and a stunning crowntail. He will live the rest of his life happy and well fed

oh and PS. I cant post a picture of him because i left my camera at school and im at home for winter break. but there is a pic of me and my other baby =)
Name:  339.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  GEDC0172.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  44.4 KB
MissFutureVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 
Aqua Butterfly

Hi Miss Future Vet, Sequoyah, What a great story! I'm so glad he you found him and made his life happy! I know with you wanting to become a Vet, it made you even more happy to help this little guy. You're off to a great career and start. Good Luck in all your studies! AB
Aqua Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #3 
MissFutureVet

Thank you so much Aqua! I really appreciate your words of encouragement =)
Old 01-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Nice to meet you Sequoyah, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures....
Cute kitty by the way...I have a few myself.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #5 
MissFutureVet

Thanks so much oldfishlady! And my kitty thanks you too =)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum and the hobby (others would call it an addiction)! I'm also from Virginia. I have a friend in college right now studying Animal Sciences who also wants to be a vet, and he knows almost nothing about fish. (Lol, my family vet even asked me about fish) I firmly believe more vets need to have at least minimal knowledge of fish. It's great that you took in the little crowntail and have nursed him back to health. You should be a model for all vets!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 
MissFutureVet

*Blushes*Thanks you! I am very much addicted to bettas now, thanks to this forum! Its true that many vets don't know much about fish. But I'm here to break the mold! =)That was an incredibly nice statement Thekoimaiden. I really appreciate that!!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello Sequoyah and welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #9 
MissFutureVet

Thanks! Nice to meet you too! =)