Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #1 
sh29

When i change my water my fish seems like he is dying

It seems when i change the water or do a cleaning every 2 weeks my fish looks like he is gonna die.i can put my finger in and push him around.tonight he just hovers at the top then keeps jumping his head out of the water hting the cover.i use the tap water and put in the nutrafin betta plus tap water conditioner.i'm scared to change the water now.he is in a small square tank with a little light.i had him 2 months plus but tonight he is just acting weird.can anyone help? thank you
sh29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

You should always properly aclimate your fish to the new water. The temparature and chemistry of the new water is different form the old and it will shock your fish if you don't slowly adapt him.
To do this, you place him in a cup of the old water and replace some of the old with the new water a few times over an hour or so.
Also handle him gently, water changes can be very harsh on the fish if not done correctly.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 
kfryman

Do you add the conditioner before or after you put the water in? And how big is the tank?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

Wait, to be correct. You change the water once, every two weeks? Even 10 gallon, cycled tanks need a water change at least once a week. How big is your tank? Heated? Filtered?
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #5 
sh29

Its a 2 litre small tank,no filter. I wanted to get a kit (actual tank,small size)the pet store said not to put a Betta alone in anything big that it would be spooked and they come from puddles. I have him in a big glass bowl and cleaned the whole tank. In the bowl he seems better
Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #6 
wnppmy

Temperature is also important, new water have at least room temperature. Make sure your not using soap during cleaning. Betta will do fine in a larger setup. You might consider adding a floating plant, now I'm using a Marimo Moss Ball reduces ammonia. Even added two Ghost Shrimp in my gallon bowl unfiltered, top light gives near 77 degree during day left on over 12 hours. My next weekly water change will try Betta Pro Water, as good comments on it's use. Going to experiment between 25 and 50 percent water exchange. Learning as well, peek at the ghost shrimp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOt2q...e_gdata_player

Last edited by wnppmy; 01-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #7 
sh29

They told me today not to do a complete water change but you got to clean the rocks,plant etc. Nope no soap at all and room temp. He is fine now in the glass jar with bottled water. I cleaned every thing,put 5ml of the nutrafin in and tap water so I'll put him back in tomorrow. They told me not to use bottled water because there was no oxygen in it but he seems ok and I did it fast so I put warm water in to bring the temp up. Why was he jumping out of the water so much then go to the bottom and lay on his side,thought he was daed
Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #8 
ArcticRain

Most pet store employees don't know what their talking about. I recommend you explore the forum and learn as much as you can about your betta friend!
I also recommend that you consider upgrading your Betta into a 2+ gallon tank. This way you can buy a Heater which bettas need to show their true colors and maintain a healthy life.

If I were you, I would go ahead and put him in the tank with conditioned water. Then just watch him and see how he does. IMO, You should always use water conditioner!
You should also start doing more water changes to make sure he doesn't get ammonia poisoning or get dramatically worse. In a 2 liter tank I recommend every other day 100% water changes. That means taking this fish out, rinsing everything in hot water and then putting him back in to conditioned water.

Last edited by ArcticRain; 01-01-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #9 
sh29

Thanks I always use the nutrafin tap water conditioner and a heater? This only happens when I change his water,that's it. I was told not to completely clean the tank aswell
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #10 
ArcticRain

A heater is something that you put inside your tank, then it heats the water to a certain Temperature. Bettas, being tropical fish prefer Temperatures between 78-82 degrees. But, the smallest heaters they make only heat tanks that are 2 gallons or larger. That's why it is better to use tank 2 gallons or above, if that's what you are asking.

He probably only reacts when you change the water because the water chemistry changes so much. Ammonia builds up very quickly in a small tank. When you change the water you take the ammonia out. In a period of two weeks ammonia can rise to an almost deadly amount. He reacts because the ammonia filled water he had been living in is gone, replaced with new clean water. Like, vilmarisv said above you need to acclimate him to the new water. Slowly removing the old water and replacing it with the new tank water. Once you start changing the water more often (which you need to do) he will stop reacting as much.

100% water changes are key to a healthy, uncycled tank. I quickly learned on this fourm that most petstore employees really can't be trusted. Whenever the petstore people tell me anything I check here before I do it. And 99.9% of the time, they told me to do the exact opposite of what I should really be doing with my betta. I am not trying to be mean. I just want to make sure you have a Happy and Healthy betta.