Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #1 
Spook

Mephisto's Adventures

So I thought it would be cool to keep a little journal about my Betta, especially since this is my first one! (:

Yesterday I brought Mephisto home for the first time, and since then he has settled into his tank quite nicely! He's in a 5 gallon tank with a Java Fern, an Anubias, a little rock cave, a small piece of driftwood, and a floating Betta log.

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  74.4 KB

So far, Mephisto's proven himself to be a pretty lazy little guy. He especially likes to sit inside his floating log and sleep -- but on or under the plants will suffice as well!

Name:  Mephisto.png
Views: 438
Size:  209.2 KB

He isn't too interested in eating at the moment. I'm hoping this is just due to the fact that he's still settling in, but it might be that he doesn't like the type of pellets I bought him.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #2 
Spook

Last night I figured out that my heater had been set wrong, and Mephisto's tank water was a little on the cold side. After turning the heater up a bit, he came out from his log and swam around for a little while. This morning the tank was up to 80 degrees, and he seemed much more active and interested in his new tank.

However, he's currently gone back to sleep inside his floating log, and he's been there for most of the day. He comes out every few hours to make a little lap around his tank before returning to his log to sleep.

I still haven't seen him eat anything, but his belly doesn't look distended and his fins are all flowy and relaxed, so I think he's okay. I'm hoping it's normal for a new Betta fish to hide and sleep this much, and not that there's anything wrong!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #3 
Spook

This morning I woke up to a thin string of bubbles lining the perimeter of Mephisto's tank! I'm pretty sure that this is an early attempt at a bubble nest, which makes me very happy!

He's been getting bolder in making his rounds about the tank, and even showed some interest in my hand for a minute when I put it up to the tank. He's started to spend less time in his floating log, and has begun exploring some of the ground-level hiding places, evidently feeling confident enough to make the long swim up to the surface for air and then back down again.

I'm starting to think he knows when I'm watching him. He'll lay still as long as I'm watching, but as soon as I turn away I see him dart across the tank from the corner of my eye. Sneaky little thing!

Mephisto made an attempt at eating a pellet today, but spit it back out and then lost it in the rocks. He fell asleep looking for it, I don't think he ever found it. I'm thinking I might need to get some frozen food for him -- he seems to have trouble seeing the pellets and fitting them in his mouth.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's probably just taking him a while to get used to his new home. He'll probably eat soon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
Spook

Thanks, dramaqueen. (: I'm sure that's all it is. He seems to be a very healthy boy otherwise -- beautiful flowing fins, healthy colour, swims well... And he's really starting to come out of his shell. c:

I tried to feed him a bloodworm today. He seemed interested and stalked it for a few minutes, but didn't eat it. The fact that he's showing interest seems promising though, so I'm not too worried.

I also came home from work to a lovely bubble nest, today! Unfortunately, he'd built it against his floating log, so it broke apart when the log began to drift.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #6 
Spook

After his week long hunger strike, Mephisto finally ate today! (: And with gusto, I might add! He slurped down a pellet and a bloodworm. After the first bite, I could almost swear he looked at me in a new way, as if to say, "Ohh so THIS is what you keep dropping into my tank! Why didn't you say so?!"

He certainly livened right up, once he realized that there was food to be had! I'm happy to see a bit more of his personality showing through.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! I'm glad he's finally eating. I guess he's figured out what he's been missing.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #8 
angella

That log looks great, I bet he loves it! As he uses it a lot, too xD

And he's a gorgeous betta, looks kinda like mine =)
angella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #9 
Spook

I thought Mephisto's tank was looking a bit skimpy, so I went out and bought a few plants -- including a monster sized Hygrophila Difformis which he absolutely adores hanging out in. (: I'll take a picture tomorrow and show off the improvements!

In other news, my husband surprised me today with a beautiful 30 gallon tank and stand! I'm going to eventually try setting up a sorority in it (after I get it cycled), so I'm super excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angella View Post
That log looks great, I bet he loves it! As he uses it a lot, too xD

And he's a gorgeous betta, looks kinda like mine =)
Thank you! C:

Yes, he really loves his log. At first he was constantly hiding inside it, but now that he's more comfortable in his tank, he likes to sleep propped against the side of it. Either way, he seems to love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
lol! I'm glad he's finally eating. I guess he's figured out what he's been missing.
I'm glad he started eating, too! He's been eating like a champ ever since, I have to be careful not to overfeed! (:
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

he'll probably give you that look like *I'm STARVING, more food!!!* lol