Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 
angiessa

Another cycling question

Hi, all-

So I'm about past the ammonia stage of my 5 gallon tank's cycle, and I'm a little concerned by how *fast* the nitrite spikes. I did a water change (50%) Saturday, and by yesterday afternoon the nitrite was already deep into the red. I had to do two changes (50%, wait three hours, then another 25%) to get it back to safe levels. This morning it's already climbing toward the mid-range again.

Is the nitrite supposed to spike that fast? Should I plan on daily water changes until it's through this stage? Or is something else going on?

Walter seems his normal self, but the nitrite level yesterday startled me, and I want to make sure he's safe.
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #2 
angiessa

Any ideas? :)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 
registereduser

I wish I could help but I'm clueless.

I came in to ask, what exactly is CYCLING? Can someone define? Thanks!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #4 
angiessa

Cycling refers to the nitrogen cycle an aquarium goes through when fish are first added. Here's a pretty good overview: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 
registereduser

Thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #6 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiessa View Post
Hi, all-

So I'm about past the ammonia stage of my 5 gallon tank's cycle, and I'm a little concerned by how *fast* the nitrite spikes. I did a water change (50%) Saturday, and by yesterday afternoon the nitrite was already deep into the red. I had to do two changes (50%, wait three hours, then another 25%) to get it back to safe levels. This morning it's already climbing toward the mid-range again.

Is the nitrite supposed to spike that fast? Should I plan on daily water changes until it's through this stage? Or is something else going on?

Walter seems his normal self, but the nitrite level yesterday startled me, and I want to make sure he's safe.
Yes it's fairly normal for there to be spikes like that. Do plan on daily water changes, it's part of fish-in cycling. Here's a great article on fish-in cycling:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 
angiessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Yes it's fairly normal for there to be spikes like that. Do plan on daily water changes, it's part of fish-in cycling. Here's a great article on fish-in cycling:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
Thank you! I did read up on fish-in cycling; I just didn't know it would spike quite so fast. Guess I just wanted reassurance that it's normal and not something I'm doing wrong. ;)

And registereduser: No problem - it wasn't really even a hijack since it was related to the topic. ;)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #8 
AquaKai

No problem! It's good to have reassurance:D
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote