Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #1 
BettaSnap456

Would a Divided Tank be a Good Idea?

My two bettas are in their own 1 gallon tanks and I pushed them together and they started flaring and going nuts! If I put them in a divided 5g would they get used to eachother after some time?
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Yes, they will get used to each other. But you are going to need to provide them with some cover. Some place that they can get out of sight of each other. Caves and plants make great cover. I only keep bettas in divided tanks (I prefer to take care of larger tanks); I like using small terracotta pots (with the back end plugged) for caves. I'll often face the caves the opposite direction to make sure my boys can "get away from it all." My tanks are also planted, so they can hide in the leaves.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
angiessa

It also depends on the fish. One of my bettas can NOT handle being able to see another betta. He had plenty of places to hide in my divided 5 gallon, but still chewed his fins down to nubs from the stress. He's in his own 2 gallon now, because after the first two days he still hadn't settled down and I couldn't stand to see him so stressed.

YMMV, but like koimaiden said, give them lots of hiding places and watch them closely.

Of course, Norman (the tail biter) is really high-strung, so it's probably just him. ;)
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 
BettaSnap456

Yeah, my betta Azure was the one who kept flaring at Tai when Tai just swam away from Azure. I think Azure is the more high strung one.
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #5 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaSnap456 View Post
Yeah, my betta Azure was the one who kept flaring at Tai when Tai just swam away from Azure. I think Azure is the more high strung one.
lol my VTs like that, he's calmed down considerably but the DT just ignores the VT.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote