Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation -crosses my arms- Today I'm going to rescue a betta.

That's right. Off to this darn store, check out the severely sick bettas, and snatch one up to take home and nurse back to health. I have seen severe cotton mouth (point of no return), dropsy (no return), severe SBD, powdered ich, clamped fins, fin rot, destroyed fins, missing scales -take a breath- wheew! So, time to go and find out who is in need.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #2 
agent89201

I wish I was experienced enough to do that! Go, go, go!
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I did! And the female makes me wanna cry! She is missing her dorsal fin, has a hole where the fin SHOULD be, in her body, with fuzz sticking out of it. Plus fin rot, plus clamped fins, plus she is only over a half inch long.

The male has a stiff body, MIGHT be a butterfly OR it is fin rot (or both), and I don't know what color he is because he is in rough shape D:

I have them both home (I almost ran home on icy roads huddling them)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #4 
Badjer

Very pleased to read this...I saw fish at Walmart for the first time the other day (or local Walmart doesn't sell fish, thank god) and nearly every betta was dead. Makes me sick. Hope you can nurse them back to health, or at least give them a peaceful end.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I couldn't just leave her!! who wants a non-colored, small, pathetic looking betta who has a hole, and missing fins? I hope I can heal my new baby!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 
agent89201

Aw that's incredibly sad. I'm just wondering... how do you treat those things?
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Not sure o_O I don't know what caused her (Sarah) problem.. could be from another fish, fin rot, a parasite, fungal infection...

Any way, I have ALL the meds needed :) As for him (Juniper) I may just put him on AQ salt, for the fins and it should help his body too - especially being under PROPER care.

Whoa. Oh. My. God. I noticed something. Juniper MIGHT be a butterfly, and since he has been in the 1.5 gallons (easier to treat) of water in a 3 gallon container, he has shown a bit more color. He looks pretty close to my OTHER VT butterfly, Ghengis. if he recovers, they'll be almost twins o_o Picture is of Ghengis. Juniper right now, is lighter in color.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

I wish I was experienced enough to go and rescue bettas all the time! Even if I was experienced enough I would feel sorry for every betta I saw at the petstore (confound how sorry they look in those inadequate tiny cups) and end buying at least 5 bettas every time I happened to pass the betta section! Then I would be overrun by bettas! I already feel like exploding at the petstore workers every time I go to PetCo! Most of them don't even own a betta when they take care of 100+ bettas every day! When I get old enough to work (almost there) I will work at PetCo so that I can make sure those bettas get the proper care!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Lucky. I live in a town where the ONLY place that sells fish is a self-run business, with a nice manager and a lovely wife, and a airhead employee. I went in there today, she was there (of course), and I chose the sickest bettas! Now she is used to me, she no longer says "um... are you SURE you want this one? he's sick." or "You sure you want THIS one? He might not make it. Just saying. Don't want you to waste your money."

Well, trying to do my best isn't wasting money (or time). And I'll see to it my new babies get good care, and find homes upcoming March and beyond.
Hooray for SBRP
Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #10 
BettaMommy531rip

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Lucky. I live in a town where the ONLY place that sells fish is a self-run business, with a nice manager and a lovely wife, and a airhead employee. I went in there today, she was there (of course), and I chose the sickest bettas! Now she is used to me, she no longer says "um... are you SURE you want this one? he's sick." or "You sure you want THIS one? He might not make it. Just saying. Don't want you to waste your money."

Well, trying to do my best isn't wasting money (or time). And I'll see to it my new babies get good care, and find homes upcoming March and beyond.
Hooray for SBRP
Lucky! You have the maturity and self will to adopt them out?! I would keep every single one because they would have turned into one of my "betta babies". I so sappy!<-- That is me bowing to you betta hero!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote