Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I get attached only to the point where they HAVE to be healed up to go to a good home... and attached enough to make sure it iIS a good home. Shadow, is my baby though he is my new one. Spartan was, before Spartan it was Finicky, and before Finicky it was Mister.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #12 
blueridge

Wow that's nice of you to bring home those sick bettas and then rehome them. I wish I could do something like that...
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #13 
Myrtaceae

Does the LFS treat the bettas badly, or do they get them this way in shipment? I hate that they are charging you to take away their sickest fish if they are at fault :/

Edit to add: I will be sending positive vibes as hard as I can from WA (we're kinda close...) for both of those poor fish. It actually hurt me to read about the female. Regardless of how she arrived in that state, I'm so happy she found someone like you who has experience and compassion.

Last edited by Myrtaceae; 01-02-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: as above
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Well, I am pretty sure I have seen her beforehand, about a month ago at the store.

This is a pet store, and about... 1/3 is fish. The bettas, are unfortunately the less looked after because you know "bettas can live in cups for a long time". The manager is great, his wife is great... but they are very busy as they have two kids and a farm! Their employee, shouldn't be working there. I'm sorry. she cares for the fuzzies more than the slimies/scalies.

If the manager was there, I'd be getting half off the sick fish (and then I would have gotten SBD guy who was pulled off the shelf to be treated, as well as these two). There are times he gives me free plants, fish, etc. he likes me. The employee....doesn't. she'll stand me.
and thanks pretty close hey? ;)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #15 
agent89201

:( that's sad. Do you know if fish stores ever take the bettas out of their cups? Do they just feed them everyday or what?
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Only time I ever saw bettas (usually just the males GGRRRRR) taken out of the cups was during cleaning time. Here, that is 1-2 times a month.

I clean ever week.

for smaller than 3 gallons, every 2-3 days
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

Quote:
who wants a non-colored, small, pathetic looking betta who has a hole, and missing fins?
I do. I like to get the ones that need TLC as long as its not dropsy or columnaris. I can't get the meds for columnaris easily, plus its too contagious.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

okay reworded: "What inexperienced, mother who has a kid begging for a fish would want a dull looking pathetic fish vs a pretty flashy long finned betta?"
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #19 
Myrtaceae

Ahh gotcha. It's good the managers care. I was just getting puffed at the idea that you regularly come in to get sick fish and they were giving you a hard time about it. Sorry about the awful employee. I've both been to + worked at small businesses who have that problem (it's usually mitigated in larger stores because the employees rotate more often).
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Yeah.. I worked there for a school thing. she dislikes me SOOOO bad. The manager is fond of me luckily I've already pointed out to him, that she gave my friend TWO danios, both who HAD ICH, the WHOLE TANK HAD ICH, and told my friend she COULD NOT GET MORE THAN TWO DANIOS. I had to take the danios back, and the manager was there. I told him the STUPID thing the employee told my friend, and pointed out danios would die or get severely sick if NOT in groups of 4-6 or more.

My friend could have risked her betta, and the two danios. because the "employee said"