Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 
bastage

Sorority in trouble.. (need help ASAP as there dying in a hurry).

This tank had about 15 tettras (black neon, glo light & some red eye's) as well as 12 female crown tail betta's. Since yesterday I have lost 3 of my female bettas & a few tettra's as well. The tettra's show nothing odd, but the darker betta's all discolor & I have no ideal whats going on.

That fish was all bright blue & black until the last few hours & I have others this is happening to as well. Can anyone tell me whats happening.

Also I ahve salted the tank since this began as well as added an IAL just in-case, but its only getting worse. It is a planted 37g with a marineland eclipse hood (with biowheel). This has been running stable for a couple months now with no problems.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

If you can, quarantine all of your bettas. It looks to be that strange rot that's affecting blue bettas.

Has it progressed very quickly or was it a slow discoloration? Also, is it affecting any colors other than blue?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #3 
bastage

Yes it has effected others.. I have a mustard one that shows the discoloration & have had my white with teal marbling female already pass from it. Also one Cambodian that appears to have it as well.

I dont have enough tanks to quarantine everything from this tank, but I have it broke out now to healthy betta's, sick betta's & everything else each in there own little tanks for the moment.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #4 
Fleetwood

Quarantine all of them regardless of whether or not the coloration of others seem fine. Have all resided together with no aggression towards one another or has there been a recent change of sorts that could've brought on some stress?

Are fins decaying or fraying? Black or dark edging? It could be Fin Rot, but as someone stated it looks to be a strange rot, really. Try Kanaplex/Kanamycin-it is commonly only available online from what I've gathered, but it's really good for infections and easiest on the fish. Seeing as this could be the strange rot that effects blue Bettas you could also try a fungus eliminator like Clear or something along those lines from Petco or Petsmart. Some meds, as I've stated in other threads are really strong, so you do need to use caution in researching medications and be careful with the dosage. It goes without saying that starting treatment without at least a strong sense of what may be wrong is more harmful than good. Just keep them isolated, cycle your tank, monitor your other fish and try to find an anti-fungal treatment. If you think that they can hang on, try looking for the online medication I've suggested that's good at treating infections.

This is about the best advice I can offer, if the loss in coloration has been a slow process, you need to look into the possibility of parasites.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #5 
bastage

The loss in color happens within hours.

Literally from normal color to faded & lethargic inside of about 2 hours for the 3 that are currently sick. Another 2 that have already passed went from normal to faded to dead inside of 5 hours so I dont anticipate the sick ones making it. I also am skeptical about the rest of the tank since this has not just effected the betta's much less the blue ones only.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

strange rot that appears to affect mostly blues... I have that on my site page about my Maine. did it look like that? suddenly? doesn't matter the color, really, just more common in blue.
http://spartanbettarescueprogram-ca.webs.com/apps/blog/
It's at the bottom under incurable
just so we can rule it out.
Right now it is rightfully named the Mystery Disease. It's similar, to something eating tissue - on the fins, and under the scales, leaving scales intact. The ones that die(d), look them over. I had to do that with Maine, and saw how there was nothing left of where it attacked, just scales and bone. It's something even ICH avoids.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-02-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you appear to have the mystery disease. Warm healy wishes to your girls.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #8 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
strange rot that appears to affect mostly blues... I have that on my site page about my Maine. did it look like that? suddenly? doesn't matter the color, really, just more common in blue.
http://spartanbettarescueprogram-ca.webs.com/apps/blog/
It's at the bottom under incurable
just so we can rule it out.
Right now it is rightfully named the Mystery Disease. It's similar, to something eating tissue - on the fins, and under the scales, leaving scales intact. The ones that die(d), look them over. I had to do that with Maine, and saw how there was nothing left of where it attacked, just scales and bone. It's something even ICH avoids.
Sena that looks like it, but I have it on a total of 6 females including a Cambodian, white with teal marbling mustard yellow, black & 2 blues. Also I have had the other fish dropping like fly's as well (tetra's & otto's).
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

hmm, As of course Mystery Illness has been barely researched, we are unsure of causes, what species it effects, etc...

Maracyn 2 or parasite clear (jungle brand)... We dont know if it is fungal type, or parsasite. It's a hit and miss, but not much time nor a choice Separate everyone that you can. got an extra bubbler? separate tetras too if you can. Do an IMMEDIATE 50% water change (I had done 100%), I would say more but you have sensitive fish (otto and platy)
you can use a bit more tap water conditioner, which'll help protect scales and fins, a little bit.

Although it is not known to be contagious, it is possible, we don't know for sure.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #10 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Although it is not known to be contagious, it is possible, we don't know for sure.
I have 15ish dead or dying so it has to be contagious. of some sort.