Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Well, separate immediately, if it IS the Mystery Disease there isn't much hope, but worth a shot. Do you have meds? what kinds? Salt didn't seem to work either, nor prolong Maine's death. IAL helped the fish to calm down, and he did eat after IAL was added.
You may need to bag all the fish, individually, and clean out the tank. if you have another tank you can use to seed this tank, clean completely, rinse with bleach and water (or vinegar and water), go through gravel, ornaments, and quarantine ALL live plants in tap water no conditioner, or very little conditioner (half dose)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #12 
bastage

They are all out of the main tank broken up into 3 2.5 gallon tanks for the moment. I have already drained the tank& will clean it thoroughly before adding anything back. The only decorations was 1 large ceramic stump that needed to come out anyway as I have a large piece of driftwood to replace it with & the rest are live plants. Substrate was going to be changed anyway as the current is Floramax & I have a 5 gallon bucket full of ADA Aquasoil I was going to add instead to help with the live plants. So the floramax wont be going back in, but I will want to sterilize it & re-use it since its a good substrate & expensive.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

good idea happy you got what you need! especially for the live plants. I have mine chilling in tap water.

Okay, if you have a dead one on hand, take a look at her. Check gills (pink, swollen, black, etc), and check where the "rot" has hit - especially the body. If the body is sunken, it is exactly like Mystery Illness, which like I said, the mysterious rot eats away at living tissue leaving you with a live-dead fish that ends up dead in the end.

Maracyn 2 is more for fungus, API Furan-2 is anti-bacterial fr gram positive and negative bacteria... and Jungle parasite clear for internal AND external parasites. Wish I knew what it was. since it spread, it can be anything.

Have you fed any live foods previously, that only that tank gets fed?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Go get Marycyn1 and 2 or if you can find it kanamycin or neomycin (kanaplex or neoplex) and treat. This is probably columnaris.

Despite what people on this forum would have everyone believe this isn't a mystery illness. Tissue necrosis is what is causing the fins and body of the fish to turn black and there is some underlying thing going on that is causing the necrosis. For my sorority it was columnaris.

Unfortunately once they look like that the best thing to do is put them down, they aren't coming back from that. But for your remaining fish showing no illness or discoloration QUARANTINE. Seriously if you have to put them in your cereal bowls do it, just get them out of that water. Treat everyone with neomycin and hope for the best.

Have you added any new plants/snails/fish, etc recently?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #15 
bastage

I dont ahve any meds other then bettafix & salt (only ever used the salt before). Food wise all my tanks are fed the same fish food & the other 5 tanks are fine so I am guessing that food isnt likely to of been the source.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #16 
Luimeril

i'd listen to 1fish2fish, if you wanna save your girls. she's dealt with this illness already, and i think she knows a bit more than most anyone on this site about it. :T get to a store that sells those meds she suggested as soon as you can, otherwise you may lose all your girlies. x: as you saw, this is a fast-acting illness, and the faster you get those meds, the faster you can save your remaining girls. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #17 
bastage

So I inspected a couple of the females & it appears the fading was actually a very thin layer of fungus. The survivors are now in a new 10g with all plastic plants & a dosing of anti fungal.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #18 
bastage

Another day down & another bunch of betta's down as well. So far I have lost a total of 10 of my 12. The only 2 remaining (firecracker & special). Neither of them are showing any signs of the disease yet & no more of the tettra's have died.

With all of the ways a sorority could be a nightmare (agression and whatnot) I didn't think this would be how I would lose mine since the water changes are always kept up & filtration is always good.