Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation IMMEDIATE help! two new rescues!

Okay, I trudged over to the pet store, and found 2 healthy bettas (left there as they WILL find homes), one with minor fin rot (water had been recently changed though), and 3 males and 2 females.

So, looking them over, chose Juniper (yep :) ) over the other two males. Why? Not only have his fins been chewed down by tiny fish like neon or ember tetras, he has fin rot AND his body is VERY VERY stiff. I'll have him ASAP on AQ salt and warm, clean water!

Now, looking at the others since I wanted to rescue two. The dalmation, was such a beauty... but, rescue over healthy... so no. Didn't get him. Then I look over and go, "another empty bowl?" I looked in and WRONG. not empty. a tiny, barely over a half inch baby "female" betta. Her fins, were clamped. Fin rot is apparent. Caudal fin is missing a chunk.

And... Dorsal fin GONE with a HOLE in her BODY. The hole is filled/covered with white fuzz, which I can only assume is rot/slime coat mix.

I've speed-walked home, holding them to let them take all the heat (hands freezing x.x) Now I have them in my sauna-of-a-bedroom covered in a quilt and leaned against two pillows, until I get their quarantine containers ready.

1. The male's stiff body I am not familiar with. Is it just from cold, stagnant water?
2. The female, now named Sarah, what is the hole from? another fish? or fin rot?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 
Luimeril

the female is your biggest worry. for now, keep the male warm and dark with clean water.

the female with a hole in her, though... if you could get photos, we'd be able to help better. i dunno what that could be from, unless it's columnaris. that's been known to eat into them, i think...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Well, I've watched a betta suffer in the store (I couldnt get him) with mouth fungus. he had it on his mouth, then fins, then bursting sores over his body. Hers... I dunno. I'll try getting a photo, but my camera needs batteries and my ipod takes bad pictures. Even if I can get a video of my poor Sarah!

The male might be a butterfly. or, it's fin rot o_O or both he is not a terrible worry, he is a medium severe, she is a major severity.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #4 
Luimeril

crappy Ipod pics, are better than none right now. as long as we can see the fuzzy hole. :V and as long as they're not so fuzzy, she's just a colored blob.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I took ipod pics, and you can see the fuzzy spot where the hole is, you can see she lacks any dorsal fin. she has no color either o.o

As for the male, he is very stressed, stress stripes and all. I don't blame him. I covered his container with syran wrap (with a space for air to get through) so it stays warm and humid. Neither betta has true color, or barely any color. He, might be a blue. I cannot tell. D: she is a "no clue probably none". Okay, so, there are no fuzzy spots, sores, gashes, or anything elsewhere on Little Sarah

also I wish I could resize the pics so it was more defined.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-02-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

picture flooding

You know, I should just draw what I see. I can do it accurately. this'l take a little while, but I'll do it and post it too along with THESE other pics

and now seeing the pictures on here... yeah Ima draw her. and show you what it looks like. thank god for artistic talent.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 
Fleetwood

Hm. Are her fins black or frayed at all? It could be Fin Rot, but it could certainly be from another fish. Keeping the male in dark warm water is the best thing you can do for him right now but, you're right. The female is your main concern right now. You say "fuzzy spot"? To me, that sounds like the hole could have been caused by a fungal infection, but I'm unclear as to whether or not you mean "fuzzy" in terms of photo quality or appearance of your fish.
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I'll draw ya (did draw a rough simple non-intricate drawing) a picture, and it'll show you the missing piece, the fuzz spot, and fast-written details Fuzzy, as in both? xD The pictures suck, yes I am sorry D: The fuzzy, is on my girl too

I'll make another one once I find a pen, for more of a detailed look

Also, the fins are clear as were my other 4 females I have. however, there are some spots that are deteriorating (not seen in picture, spots, on fin) there is a huge chunk missing, and the top one I found a single strand of fin left

secnd picture added
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-02-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

An update on my little Juniper: He has shown immediate progress in not only movement, but color. Here is a picture of Ghengis - why? Because THEY ARE IDENTICAL :o

Ghengis is more purple/red, but he too started out a nice light brown with a tinge of maroon. So here is an idea of what Juniper will look like with his fins grown back!!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #10 
Luimeril

sounds like she had fin rot that reached the body. erm... do you have any fungus meds? or... what meds do you have? maybe someone can tell you what to dose her with out of what you have?