Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #101 
Sena Hansler

Update: Sarah seems to be growing nicely, but I do notice she may have a deformed spine from the injury. she is often in an angle.
However, Suzi doesn't seem to be growing too much, and her longest fins so far are the ventral fins.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #102 
gossipgirl1031

I'm happy to hear that they are doing well!

In other news, Mags took a really bad turn for the worse. She started tail biting yesterday and by the time I got home from work, her entire tail is gone! I had to move her into shallow water with AQ salt. She had been doing so well and then all of a sudden total badness-HELP!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #103 
Sakura8

Great, now I have to start a new mystery disease thread. *mumbles about new members starting off on wrong foot* Sena, it's okay, I understand. Those who have seen the disease first hand understand that it moves so fast, medicating is nearly futile. And until we have a necropsy to identify the disease, it will be a mystery or unknown disease.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #104 
Sena Hansler

Hope Mags gets better!!! :o

and well, what was it they said it could be? it originated in species like trout, and salmon. Somehow to goldies (cold water fish as well) and some how makes it to tropical fish like bettas? Plus, not only is it barely researched enough to call it by any name to completely confirm. I can legitimately give all details other than a full biopsy, meaning I'd need to know what the insides of a healthy fish looked like, to compare to a dead one.

I'm actually wondering... Will Maracyn 2 damage Shadow, if I were to dose him, even though he "may or may not have it"? I won't, unless completely certain it won't damage him in any way. Because if he carries the virus, the disease, if it can be stopped with Maracyn - you cannot really stop it after it hits unless you have a fish who can last as long as Maine did (barely any can)... Better yet wish I could send a blue betta from here, to someone who can watch him, and study him, and if the betta sent got it - could figure it out better than I ever could o.o (and to any MIS-READING PROBLEMS I AM NOT DOSING MY BETTA FISH)
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #105 
Sakura8

:/ Maracyn II is a fairly strong med. The thing is, I'm not sure it would hurt him per se but if you medicate too often, then the fish builds up a resistance and the medicine stops being as effective. How is Shadow acting? Any lethargy? How do his fins look? Be very alert for that graphite color that seems to signal the start of the disease.

It's too bad I'm across the border or I'd offer to take him for you and keep an eye on him.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #106 
Sena Hansler

Only problem, is he could be like Maine. The night I came home, I fed all bettas - and Maine. of course it was later at night, so everyone was snoozing, until they realized "foooood!!!" I check everyone over, each day and night for: discoloration, fins, scales, eyes, gills, belly, lips. This ensures I catch ALL diseases before, or during the early stages, where it is easy to treat.

Nothing was wrong with Maine - full fins, showing them proudly - his lovely deep blue with red highlights - jumped for food, ate his food, strutted around then settled down for a snooze. Like always.. I wake to his fins having a "singed" look, ich powdering him... There was literally, no...change... Riddle, always had bad looking fins. Healthy though, however, I may think ICH could be a part of it... As ICH appeared on Maine during the virus attack, ICH was present BEFORE the attack on poor Riddle. However, the appearance was slightly different, but did the same thing - and left the same results: a euthanised fish with healthy pink gills, a destroyed body and fins.

So if Shadow gets hit with it, he better be like Maine and pull through at LEAST three days, as I will dose the max of maracyn 2 on him, and try to beat the living daylights out of this pesky tissue eating bacteria >:( I DON'T WANT MY FISH TO DIE D:

If anything, right now I'll start documenting him, through his entire life, just to ensure complete understanding and maybe catch it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #107 
Sakura8

I don't know how many meds are available to you but you might want to consider Tetracycline over Maracyn II, as it is more powerful. And even better than Tetracycline is Kanamycin (aka Seachem Kanaplex). Problem is Kanaplex is hard to find. But if you can find Tetracycline, keep that on hand. I'll cross my fingers that Shadow escapes the disease.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #108 
Sena Hansler

I'll look those up now, and even pre-order, as a precaution. he WAS supposed to be a black betta, but then POOF blue and red >:( I wanted to avoid all blues. Even greens, which are blue/greens. Because no one really knows how terrible I felt, thinking I couldn't save my Maine... I literally cried holding the cup that I had him in, during euthanasia And it still hurts to see the photos, and the transition from beautiful, to ill, to dead.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #109 
Sakura8

*hugs* It's never easy to lose a betta, but to lose him so rapidly must have hurt the most of all.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #110 
Sena Hansler

It did....especially when he was the strongest, fastest, healthiest betta I had... and right now Shadow is the same way and it feels like re-living Maine right down to his obsession with flaring at the black box of the filter >< and he too is blue and red. I'm so terrified he could fall into that disease. So I found kanaplex online, and for like 11.00 I bought it. Not risking it.