Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #111 
gossipgirl1031

That's how I'm going to feel about Mags. She's really not well Sena. I think her will to live is gone. In a matter of not even 18 hours, her condition just went downhill so fast. Here's Mags now...

gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #112 
Sena Hansler

What do you have her on? what meds? her backend, and what is left of her tail looks "raw" aka no scales, or scraped down scales... Her gills from here look a little red too - if you are using AQ salt, I might say you need heavier medications and skip the salt....
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #113 
gossipgirl1031

Right now, she's on 2 teaspoons AQ salt, higher heat and dechlor w/stress coat. By the time I got home from work and saw how she was (not at all like this when I left this morning), the stores had closed. If she pulls through the night, Sakura suggested tetracycline. I'll hit up Petsmart first thing in the morning. Her back end is red, but what's left of it does have scales. I removed her gravel so she couldn't hurt herself further. I lowered her water level since she really can't swim/surface. Poor thing, I don't know how much more she can take. There's also the option of taking her to my vet tomorrow & having her put down if she's really suffering.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #114 
Sena Hansler

Poor thing! The red is probably Septicemia, in my own guess - So tetracycline definitely would be something to use (thanks to Sakura :p), even if it isn't what I said... Poor baby!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #115 
gossipgirl1031

Sakura & I have been chatting on the Coffeehouse thread & may have come to the conclusion that she is too far gone. Her back end is literally rotting away-FAST. I think we're now at the quality of life stage. Even if she battles through this, would she ever be able to regain what she has lost and lead a happy enough life? I'm not sure it's fair for me to put her through this anymore. It just happened so fast & came out of nowhere.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #116 
Sena Hansler

My goodness! The poor thing :( you did give her a good fight though, and you gave her a good home! THAT'S what matters
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #117 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks :) At least I know she was happy, warm & loved for the last almost 4 weeks. Much better than dying in a cold, filthy cup. Even though this outcome doesn't look good, I'm not sorry I tried & would do it again (even knowing what the outcome would be). Tomorrow morning won't come soon enough. I don't know if my vet will even do it. Can't bring myself to do it & know I'm not making her suffer more. They're used to seeing me with my big cat (who thankfully is doing better). I really thought she was on the road to recovery and then this just blindsided me. And I'm worried about it spreading to my 2 new girls with rot too. I feel like I've taken every safety precaution, but those pesky microbes and suppressed immune systems.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #118 
Sena Hansler

I know what you mean. I have the rescues, and each time I do a water change it's sterilization all the time x.x
Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #119 
gossipgirl1031

I'm obsessed with infectious disease in people & if I were younger & had more money, I'd be in med school specializing in Virology & Epidemiology or even just broad spectrum Infectious Disease. I've even bleached my hands up to my elbows tonight (with a good rinse after-still burns though-I have extremely sensitive skin). I have to do the girls' water changes and I'll probably use disposable plastic gloves just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #120 
Sena Hansler

I'm allergic to stuff like bleach. I worked in a deli...sooo many times did I have a closed up throat, had a HUGE 3rd degree chemical burn, etc -.-

Oh and on another note. say hello to new and improved (drawing does her no justice) Zebra, who is 1.5 inches or so, used to be JUST over an inch. I just had a freak out, since I had fed my girls, just never took a good close look... and well... I flash a light into the dark void that is their 29 gallon tank and THEY...ALL....GREW....HUGE... O_O I dunno who slipped them steroids, but their fins also developed :o THAT is NOT a VT.
Attached Images