Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #1 
Gloria

Exclamation Dragon Scale Crown Tail

So I posted a question in my spawn log but REALLY doubt many people will look in there and answer me, so I thought I would make a new thread all together. I hope this is ok and in the right section.. :$
Anyways.. i have had some help from GreenTea (Which I appreciate, Thank-You), but was just wanting a little more light to be shed.
What I am wanting to know is how to get Dragon Scale Crown Tail Bettas. I want to breed them not buy them. I have a female crown tail and a male crown tail but only have one dragon scale and he is a VT.
Is there anyway I can do this from scratch? i can imagine my dragon sclae male will be no help since he is a VT and im pretty sure it is said VT is a dominent gene.
Can someone help me please? How can I achieve this?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #2 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
So I posted a question in my spawn log but REALLY doubt many people will look in there and answer me, so I thought I would make a new thread all together. I hope this is ok and in the right section.. :$
Anyways.. i have had some help from GreenTea (Which I appreciate, Thank-You), but was just wanting a little more light to be shed.
What I am wanting to know is how to get Dragon Scale Crown Tail Bettas. I want to breed them not buy them. I have a female crown tail and a male crown tail but only have one dragon scale and he is a VT.
Is there anyway I can do this from scratch? i can imagine my dragon sclae male will be no help since he is a VT and im pretty sure it is said VT is a dominent gene.
Can someone help me please? How can I achieve this?
I would just buy two dragon scale betta's. I saw a dragon scale crowntail at wal-mart so they are not uncommon or anything. If you try to do it from scratch you are gonna have to line breed and to be honest starting with a VT is going to make it even harder since VT is a dominant gene. You can work smarter or harder it's up to you
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with BR, it will take many generations to get that perfect drg scale thus would be easier, not to mention cheaper, to buy a pair.... or at least one drg CT.

CTxVT = dominant VT. You will have uneven web reduction - not too impressive. Take CT fry with the best drg markings and inbreed them. Keep doing this until you get true drg CT.

Remember: You most likely have to re-introduce both CT and drg into the line..... so again IMO at least start with one drg CT. That way you don't have to worry about fin type and concentrate on color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
I would just buy two dragon scale betta's. I saw a dragon scale crowntail at wal-mart so they are not uncommon or anything. If you try to do it from scratch you are gonna have to line breed and to be honest starting with a VT is going to make it even harder since VT is a dominant gene. You can work smarter or harder it's up to you
She's in Australia so it's not an option. You're welcome for the help btw =]
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
She's in Australia so it's not an option. You're welcome for the help btw =]
Can someone here buy one then and send it to her? It's certainly not worth the inbreeding and time that it would take to create it on her own. It would probably take over a year to get a dragon scale crowntail out of those genetics if not longer.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
Can someone here buy one then and send it to her? It's certainly not worth the inbreeding and time that it would take to create it on her own. It would probably take over a year to get a dragon scale crowntail out of those genetics if not longer.
I know how you feel. I often wish I could send everyone one or two. But the fact is, shipping isn't that easy and sometimes cost more than the bettas.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #7 
Bambi

VT + CT girl = combvails F1 Maybe a couple combtail deltas?

F1 female + ct male =some better combtails,more web reduction,looks more like ct F2a

F1 male + F1 female = more web reduction and dragon F2b

Take a fry F2a and F2b and breed them.

....it's really about breeding the fry that show the best of the qualities you want to each other. but with only those 3 it'll take you a while, and lots of inbreeding, to get anywhere. If you can find any other dragons that aren't VT's it'll help. Maybe find a breeder in your country and buy one from them?

Last edited by Bambi; 11-04-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #8 
GreenTea

No one can ship out of their country unless they have an export license which is a minimum of hundreds of dollars.

Gloria - Look at fishchicks videos online, she imports and sells bettas in Australia! She might even breed, not sure.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #9 
Gloria

Thank you everyone. I am not really able to find many Bettas as I don't live in a town close to very great pet shops but I will keep my eye out next time I go to Townsville as it has a few different pet shop. When I got my Dragon (Dragon Scale male) I only got him because he was the first Dragon scale I had ever seen. I VERY much doubt I would find a Dragon CT here ever, so i will try and look into a breeder here, thanx GreenTea, I will get intouch with fishchick.
.. So my current fry I have will be no good to keep to bred for the Dragon Scale Crown Tail?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #10 
GreenTea

heres an example of her vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXqlj...&feature=feedu