Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #21 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
there is a difference between feeding live blood worms and freeze-dried ..

live blood worms can be fed as a staple food .. meaning they replace pellets and are more nutritious then most pellets ..

freeze-dried blood worms are only to be fed as a treat .. because when these worms under go the freeze dry process they lose a lot of beneficial nutrients that they once had when they were alive
I would not recommend feeding live blood worms as the only staple food source for your betta unless you are planning on breeding your bettas, but even so, a varied diet should always be considered as the best plan. As for the freeze dried food, the biggest concern lies in the fact that they tend to cause constipation due to the water absorption in the intestines and hence soaking it beforehand is usually recommended.

JM2C

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #22 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayane Hajinmon View Post
..im not sure how im gonna get one out to feed Alpha
With a little practice, you can get pretty good with a toothpick
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
I would not recommend feeding live blood worms as the only staple food source for your betta unless you are planning on breeding your bettas, but even so, a varied diet should always be considered as the best plan. As for the freeze dried food, the biggest concern lies in the fact that they tend to cause constipation due to the water absorption in the intestines and hence soaking it beforehand is usually recommended.

JM2C

Cheers!
I fed a strict live/frozen diet only for my bettas as I had an aversion to pellets/flakes. However, they always looked very lacklustre so I put them onto NLS pellets and now feed them either frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms twice a week.

They definitely look a lot better on the pellets. I think if you went the frozen/live route you would need much more of a variety to meet the nutritional needs of your betta.

I usually just tweezer my frozen and live worms in. Makes it easier to target feed that way. My bettas usually hang off the end of the tweezers, the pigs.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #24 
Silverfang

with frozen foods I use an eye dropper. They try to rip it from my fingers!

My girls get almost exclusively frozen bloodworms, once a week brine shrimp. Only the odd pellet.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #25 
Ayane Hajinmon

thanks for the support everyone...he still wont eat today...im gonna change his water...hope he would eat tomorrow
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #26 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayane Hajinmon View Post
my dad bought the live Bloodworm for me to feed Alpha but he already ate today so i said i'll feed him tomorrow (but really i was a little concern that the worms mite have diseases or parasite in them or something)
it is a good idea to feed him live blood worm? if so, how many worm do i feed him?
please answer...thank you

I just saw post on another forum someone fed with black worms and betta got internal parasites. So i don't know how safe to feed bettas with live worms. At least when it frozen worms i guess it more safe ....

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #27 
Bombalurina

Black worms are notorious for parasites. Bloodworms, especially home-grown, are much safer.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote