Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 
hummingbird

Exclamation HELP with CRUEL store keeper! MUST READ!

I have an issue with my local pet store. Normally they have about 20-30 Bettas in a small 5 gallon tank all squished together! It's horrific! Dead Bettas floating everywhere and disease will probably kill them all.
Thats why i decided to rescue a few of them. :)
I have a 60 gal tank so that should be fine for a few of them to live and not have to suffer anymore!
There's also not much cover or plants in that small 5 gallon tank.
Arn't Betas mostly solitary fish anyways?
Stupid idiot store keeper also ripped me off in the past with WAAAAAAYYY over priced supplies and not to mention, fish(Bettas are being sold for $15-20.
Yes maybe they are worth that much but certainly NOT in that condition!
People are so cruel sometimes!
I want to place a complaint but the store keeper has a lot of authority in my small twon......help!

Last edited by hummingbird; 01-02-2012 at 07:37 PM.
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #2 
Ayane Hajinmon

15-20 dollars? i got mine for only $5...so thats like 3x more...wow...why dont people think that if they take care of the fish better and healthier...betta would live longer and look better instead of buying more fish every week...i dont know how to help tho ):
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 
jman828

I can get them for $2.99, in about 300x better condition than that too! :)
Poor little bettas :'(
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #4 
BettaMommy531rip

Get the authorities involved! But first talk to him, explain to him why he cannot let this go on. Maybe if you are resonable he will even let you help him work out a better arangement. Maybe you can help him get all the boys seperated into CLEAN containers, and you can help him start a 3-4 girl sorority in the 5 gallon that all the bettas are in, and then get the rest of the girls into their own CLEAN containers. He might even make more money selling the 3-4 girls as a sorority. Make sure everything is clean, and try to get him to charge less for bettas that aren't worth as much as he's selling them for. Get him to medicate the injured and sick ones, and then you get happy bettas and he in the long run gets more money. Help him out, he might just be someone that doesn't understand, and thinks that bettas are just like other fish. If he is still a big mean betta hating bully after you offer to help, then you CALL THE AUTHORITIES! Tell them what he's been doing, and tell them the proper conditions for bettas so they can see how cruel he is for themselves!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
hummingbird

I have already told him that what he's doing is cruel. He olld me to mind my own buisness or he'll call the guards on me.....so i left.......What else what i supposed to do?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 
bettafish15

I wouldn't support that store, even though you feel bad for the fish, you are just giving them the means to keep doing it because to them it's like "well heck, the fish are selling, right?". A rescue fish should be one you got for free. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

.... Do animal services exist for fish near you? :/ usually they are for any other animal. But, ripping you off technically is not illegal.

If you cannot find the legal authorities to take action, then boycot. bash that reputation of his. I've fair warned many people to go to Edmonton rather than this store. Some still go there - but not as many. Get the word out. Have pictures taken in the store and AFTER you get the bettas home, and after they are healthy.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 
hummingbird

How would that help? It's a farily small shop so how would i possibly do anything like pictures?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #9 
bettafish15

If it were me, I would take pictures even inside the small shop, and ignore the weird and/or dirty looks I might get.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I do it all the time -cough- and get strange looks o.o I just explain I wanted to show a friend.

I'm technically not lying.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote