Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #1 
AquaKai

Tank Size

What size of tank for bettas do you reccomend? I've always read 5g, but I've seen on here lots of 2.5gs... I'm a little confused on what size is good. I have an extra 2.5g tank and a 1.5g tank. Should I buy a heater and cycle the 2.5 completely? Thanks!
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
agent89201

Many people say that the minimum size for a Betta fish should be a 2.5 gallon tank. Some people debate that 5 gallons should be the minimum size. I have a 2 gallon (I thought it was 2.5 when I bought it) and it seem fine for my guy. You should definitiely have a heater. Betta's a tropical fish that need 76 to 80 degree water. You should also get a thermometer to make sure your heater is working correctly. You don't have to cycle your tank but it's a good idea. Though I'm new to kish keeping so you should probably wait for another person to reply about cycling. http://nippyfish.net/2011/03/10/10-r...ur-betta-tank/

Here's the Basic Betta Fish Care sticky.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

Last edited by agent89201; 01-02-2012 at 08:37 PM.
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #3 
AquaKai

Yeah I know about the temperature thing, and I wouldn't put a fish into a tank that's not cycled(I find it a bit cruel). But I'm happy to see that I can get another betta, there's been one that I've been eyeing for a while at the local fish store. And I found yet another 2.5g tank! YAY! I think that I have an extra thermometer somewhere in my house... But yay!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #4 
bettafish15

A 2.5 is impossible to cycle, only 5g+ can hold a cycle. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #5 
AquaKai

Hmmm... Something must be off then. I did a "cycle" on a 2.5g tank with one of the bettas I had once. I must have read the reading once. It went through all of the parts of the cycle and I used the API liquid kit... Any ideas on that?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #6 
Jodah

It is not impossible to cycle a 2.5g. I would consider my g/f's 2.5g to be cycled. It very difficult to keep a stable balance. I see the the phrase "I can't hold a cycle" often. When in reality, you are not holding a cycle. A tank only cycles once unless you do something major like change out the filter without letting the new one sit in the tank running for a few days, or do 100% water changes.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #7 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
It is not impossible to cycle a 2.5g. I would consider my g/f's 2.5g to be cycled. It very difficult to keep a stable balance. I see the the phrase "I can't hold a cycle" often. When in reality, you are not holding a cycle. A tank only cycles once unless you do something major like change out the filter without letting the new one sit in the tank running for a few days, or do 100% water changes.
Ok, cool. Thanks! That's really interesting:)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
Jodah

You're welcome. I think a lot of confusion comes from improperly used terms. The bacteria propagate regardless of tank size. The main issue is that there may not be enough good bacteria to consume all of the ammonia and turn it into nitrite and then to nitrate. So, when most people say 5g is the minimum to hold a cycle, I think the proper way to explain it would be that the tank has enough good bacteria to consume all of the ammonia without the need for 100% water changes.

Case in point: My g/f's 2.5g has not had a 100% water change since the 2nd day I set it up. Plus, I only did a 100% (was closer to 80% really) due to the fact that I flubbed and didn't rinse the gravel enough.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 
kfryman

Yes a 2.5g can be cycled it is just not a stable cycle I think. Any thing under 5g, you don't need to cycle because it isn't stable so thats why people say they can't. I wouldn't worry about cycling a small tank.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #10 
agent89201

Well I have a question similar to this that y'all would know the answer to. I went to get a plant for my 2 gallon and the guy gave me advice. I had been taking everything out of my tank, wiping the tank, rinsing the gravel, etc. The guy said that I shouldn't do that and instead, make small water changes about every day to 2 days and do a 100% water change about once every 3 or 4 weeks only using de-clhorinated water in order to keep the good bacteria and the natural cycle that the tank has. Is this right?
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon, betta, tank size