Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 
MommaOkie

Growth near gills/eye

Our male beta Johnny has a growth of some sort behind his eye. I really don't feel like its pop eye because the eye itself is not swollen. Its like its behind the eye mainly in front of but also involving the gills I think. Here are the best photos I could get. The photos show like some skin rot to possible, but that is hard to see with the naked eye. I am not sure how to treat this. Its been this way for a little while but I was afraid to treat him with the wrong medication or something, then I found this forum and figured I would try here. I am pretty good at keeping up on water changes and he is fed well but not too much, he has done amazing the 3 years we have had him until now. His behavior has not changed though. I am a long time owner of bettas, and currently own him and another male (seperate tanks) and have never had a sick fish so I am a loss on what to do.

More info--

Housing
What size is your tank?
1 and half gallon
What temperature is your tank?
Room Temperature or a bit warmer
Does your tank have a filter?
No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.
Is your tank heated?
No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
He lives alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Wardley Betta Food Pellets and Blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Pellets Daily and blood worms 2 times a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
50% every other day and fulll once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
50% and then one full change a week as well
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Aqua safe water treatment and conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, I have never tested it but I could if I needed to.

Ammonia: Unknown.
Nitrite: Unknown.
Nitrate: Unknown.
pH: Unknown.
Hardness: Unknown.
Alkalinity: Unknown.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
He has a large lump behind his eye but in front of gills. Eye is of normal size and does not stick out at all.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
No
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
A few weeks ago (had no idea what to do!)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
We have owned him for 3 years.

Last edited by MommaOkie; 12-03-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typos lol
MommaOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

don't have an exact answer for you but the usual answer for stuff like this is lower temp to 74-75, and add 1 tsp/gallon aquarium salt and do 100% water change per day for up to 10 days. I would start with that while we wait for someone else to respond.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Sorry to go off topic, sorta, but those white spots, do they ever move? I'm wondering if he might have a parasite.

Quote:
External Parasites
•Symptoms: You may see parasites (other than ick) or you may not. Pay special attention to the area around the gills and fins. May dart and rub against decor, lose interest in food, lethargy, color loss
•Treatment: Some parasites can be treated conservatively with Aquarium Salt. For salt treatments, treat as you would with Ick. If conservative treatment does not work or if you have extenuating circumstances then there are a number of medications you could use. API’s General Cure and Jungle’s Parasite Clear fizz tablets are both affective ways to kill parasites. Do not combine with Aq.Salt.
•Alternative Medicines: I like PP for all stubborn external infections. It has never failed me, but it should only be used as a last resort.

Does it sound anything like that?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 
inkrealm

awww D: poor guy D: if he's acting normal it may be okay.... does look painful though :( might just be a tumor? I heard they can get them.... never seen this so can't help exactly, but....

Housing
What size is your tank?
1 and half gallon
What temperature is your tank?
Room Temperature or a bit warmer can you tell us what "room temp" is?
Does your tank have a filter?
No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.
Is your tank heated?
No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
He lives alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Wardley Betta Food Pellets and Blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Pellets Daily and blood worms 2 times a week are the worms freeze dried or frozen? also how many pellets?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Every 2-3 days not sure if this is enough.... I don't use a 1.5... I'm sure someone will know though :3
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
Full when you say full, do you mean just changing the water, or do you scrub the tank and clean out the gravel, etc?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Aqua safe water treatment and conditioner I'd personally suggest Prime and API Stress Coat+, but that's not really needed :3 if you have a lot of oak trees where you live, you might try tannin.
OldFishLady posted instructions for that on this board. it's similar to API Stress Coat+, but can be gathered from your yard instead of having to buy it :3 also Tannin has has fungal and disease-fighting properties =^-^=

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, I have never tested it but I could if I needed to. parameters would hep if you can :3

Ammonia: Unknown.
Nitrite: Unknown.
Nitrate: Unknown.
pH: Unknown.
Hardness: Unknown.
Alkalinity: Unknown.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
He has a large lump behind his eye but in front of gills. Eye is of normal size and does not stick out at all. I agree that this is probably not popeye, as popeye occurs IN the eye, and this is not in it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
No
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
A few weeks ago (had no idea what to do!)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
We have owned him for 3 years.

hope this helps a tad ^-^
he's also getting quite decently old... and as said it may be a tumor.... tumors as with humans can be harmful or harmless and I'm not sure if there's a way to tell the difference....
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #5 
MommaOkie

Nope the spots don't move and are actually very hard to see with the naked eye, they did show up on the camera pretty good though. I first thought tumor as well becuase of his age, he is at least 3 plus how ever old he was when we bought him. If its a tumor is there anything I can do, other than to spoil him rotten? Its my daughter's fish and she is so worried he is dying. She is 7, I told her that is what fish do, they live for a while and die and then you can get a new one. Her brothers Betta died about a year ago and we have since replaced
him. BTW this orange fish is named Johnny Cash (after my daughters fave singer) and our other who is Red is named Ripley (after my son's fave book Ripleys Believe it or not)
Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #6 
MommaOkie

Oh and he isn't rubbing on his plant or decor or anything either. Swims and eats normally. Color is good, not tired or anything.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I'm not sure what is wrong, I'm sorry to say, for now I'd suggest keeping his water clean. Epsom salt has been known to help with swelling, but since I'm not really sure what the cause might be I'm hesitant to suggest trying it. I'm sad to say with his age he might not recover so well. A pet store better usually lasts for 2-3 years, so it sounds like he's had a pretty good life with you so far. The one other thing I'd suggest is to invest in a thermometer and heater. They are much happier at 78-80.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #8 
MommaOkie

Yea planning on getting new tanks for christmas for both fish. They are in the kitchen on the counter it stays warmer in there than any other room in the house, they are probably about 76 or so right now. But will upgrade, been wanting to do that anyway. Will do water changes and try salt most likely that will at least keep him comofortable
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #9 
MommaOkie

Well poor Johnny Cash, he died last night. He was doing much better in the last week or so, all redness had gone from the tumor site and it has shrunk. Frequent water changes seemed to help a lot. Found him on the bottom of the tank this morning. My daughter wants to bury him, she doesn't know yet she's at school, but she already told me he was going to be buried, so I have him in foil and a ziploc in the fridge so hopefully he won't break down like he would in water.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #10 
PixelatedPaint

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

One of our rescues died earlier this year (Was too far gone and kept falling ill. We had him for a month and his issues never cleared) and my daughter wanted the same thing. Luckily I am artsy so I made a little coffin out of those dollar store wooden boxes. We painted his name on it and got some fake flowers for the grave site and a small cross which we painted on "Rest well, Quinny".

She visits it from time to time. It really helped. ( She is only about to turn 4, So this was the first death she dealt with).

My condolences. Loosing a fish is very difficult.They become like family.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote