Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

Is my Betta just sleepy or is there something seriously wrong?

First, I am sorry I have been posting so much about my betta the past few months. He has been battling disease after disease and I freak out when anything seems the least bit wrong with him...

The reason i'm posting this is because, All day today he has been acting really lethargic and clamped. But, he is showing no other symptoms. He's not pale, not bloated, no fuzzy patches, nothing.
So, i'm wondering. Last night I woke him up about four times. Once with a Flashlight, once actually turning on the hood light and the other two times just looking at his tank. I didn't mean too, but I put in a new heater and I was making sure it didn't overheat (I worry a lot).
So, is he just tired or is he really sick?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I switched to Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets last night.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, two pellets each time.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% each time. Once just water, once with gravel. 1-100% a month.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None, just clamped fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is acting really lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I turned off the light in his tank since he seemed a bit stressed. It seemed to help a bit.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Oh, yes. When i first got him he went though a period of Extreme and I mean EXTREME stress, he was lethargic and pale. Just this month he got ick and fin rot. The rot is still healing.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know.

Again, I am sorry for posting another thread about Mr. Plum.
Thanks in advance!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

when was the last water change?

maybe something icky got into his tank from the new heater or something that was on your hands?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #3 
SpookyTooth

I'm not an expert but it could very well be the heater. If it's an adjustable heater you could always rub your fingers gently around the adjustable valve and see if there's any gunk there. Sometimes the valve will get slime over time anyway, but sometimes it's really unpleasant and just seems unnatural.

Once you've done this... smell your fingers. Smell the water, see if there's a rubbery or unpleasant smell that doesn't make sense. Heaters can and do malfunction sometimes... you just have to be unlucky enough for it to be one you're actively using.

If your heater isn't adjustable still give the water a good ol' sniff and see if you find anything around or on the heater that may indicate it's leaking fluid. I don't know if said fluid is toxic to fish but at the same time I don't see why it wouldn't cause such a change to your little guy's behaviour.

I had a leaking heater in the past (luckily there weren't any fish in the aquarium at the time) and it took me a while to actually spot that the heater was leaking this weird gunk into the water. If in doubt, unplug the heater, give it a good rinse and fill a sink with water; then submerge the device (with it still be off and unplugged) and check around all the seals to see if you notice anything leeching into the water.

If worst comes to it you can leave the heater submerged in the sink for a little while and check if there's any unusual gunk/fluid in the sink water. If there is you know it's the heater - of course wrap your guy's tank up in towels or blankets if you're worried his aquarium will go cold while you do the testing.

Best of luck and I hope all is well soon!

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 01-03-2012 at 08:45 AM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 
ArcticRain

Update: Today he is pale on top of being lethargic.

@Tikibirds- The day before He started acting lethargic, I did a 100% water change. Should I put him in QT with new water and clean the heater to see if it helps?

@SpookyTooth- Well, I actually took out the new heater when I woke him up one time. I had read some bad reviews after I put it in so I was really worried. I put in his old heater that I've never had a problem with. It's a Tetra Submersible Heater for 2-10 gallons.
Should I put him in QT with new water and clean the heater and see if it helps?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I am not fish expert but usually whenever I see a fish acting unusual, I always do a water change to see if its a water quality problem.

Since you don;t have a filter, do a 100% water change and clean the tank just in case something nasty got in the water/tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #6 
ArcticRain

Can I put him in QT with new water, so I won't have to totally clean his new tank again? If it helps and he gets better then I will clean the 5 gallon.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #7 
ArcticRain

Update: I put him QT with new treated water and there is no improvement! I'm really worried because this is how my other boy Lucky died. Same pattern and everything. I will post a link to the thread about Lucky.

Here is the link! http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=85820

Last edited by ArcticRain; 01-03-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Is it also an acrylic tank? although there are many people rooting for acrylic tanks, I find scratches can hold toxins, and release them.

How old is the conditioner you use?
Have you tested your tap water? bring in a sample of your tap water to a pet/fish store, and they can tell you what's in it. It could be from what is in your tap water - for instance, here, our tap water never kills our fish. Even when some people forget tap water conditioner (yikes!) the bettas don't even show stress or illness (wheew!). While say... somewhere else, their metals are through the roof!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #9 
ArcticRain

No, this tank is Glass. My conditioner expires in 2014. I have never tested my tap water so I will take it in when I go to Petco. Do I need to add my conditioner to the water I take in?

Recently, my county changed the water and started adding some new stuff. They didn't tell us what they added, but it was something weird and a lot of people in my county are mad about it. Could this have something to do with it?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Do this:
sample 1. is tap water NO conditioner added.
sample 2. is tap water with conditioner
You'll need to see if you can find out the metals and their levels, chlorine, and other cleaners.

If something was added, it could have been killing your fish. If anyone else wants to pipe up, I'm not sure how to make the water safe for the fish (some use bottled water but it is NOT recommended)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote