Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 
GeoDragon

Smile New Tank Setup

I've been lurking around these forums for about a month and a half now, trying to figure out how to best take care of a betta. I wanted to do it justice and take care of it like a proper owner :) I was originally only going to have two African Dwarf Frogs (as I rescued them from my current place of employment, as they were being sold in those absolutely tiny "tanks"), but I decided it would be nice to have a betta as a conversation piece for my apartment.

I wanted to reach out and ask other people here on the forums though if I'm forgetting anything for my tank.

Housing
What size is your tank? Five Gallon
What temperature is your tank? A constant 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? It has a waterfall filter with baffle.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes it is.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Three ghost shrimp and two African Dwarf frogs

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I feed it betta pellets, freeze dried blood worms, and some fish flakes on occassion
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Chlorine neutralizer and fish coating enhancements with aquatic plant nutrients.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7
Hardness: Moderately Soft
Alkalinity: (Can't remember off the top of my head due to running out of test strips, but it's well within the accepted range)

I did cycle the tank using a fishless method (raw shrimp) and that worked wonders. Bacteria colony seem to be using up all the excess ammonia and nitrites. Also planted some aquatic plants (PetCo didn't give these a proper name, so sadly I do not know what they are called) and I have a "moss ball" that is fake and absorbs phospates. There is also a broken pot aquarium decoration to add some enrichment to the tank. I'm using a full spectrum CFL lamp that is designed for aquariums using an Edison Base.

The betta does indeed get along with the ADF and ghost shrimp. Also he's a blue veiltail with hints of red so I've decided to call him "Corundum." Any input would be much appreciated, even if that means I return him to the store so that he can be happy. If I'm going to keep fish I'm going to do it right.
GeoDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #2 
GeoDragon

In order to bump up my post, I'll include some pictures of my tank :D

This is my old tank, I don't even remember the manufacturer but I know it could be bought at Costco in the mid 90's.

This is my betta, Corundum :) He's quite the little fish and has some serious spunk

Here are my two African Dwarf Frogs. Haven't chosen a name for these two, though Andesite and Rhyolite are what I'm thinking. (I'm a geology nerd, hence the mineral and rock names)

Last edited by GeoDragon; 01-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 
Bonbonisbff

Nice job!
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #4 
angiessa

Sounds like you're doing great - your betta must be one happy fish. :)

And I love the names!
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #5 
newf

Very nice. I love the names as well.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #6 
GeoDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonisbff View Post
Nice job!
Yeah, I really did my research for this tank. It took a lot of energy and my "entertainment" budget for a few months but it's going well right now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiessa View Post
Sounds like you're doing great - your betta must be one happy fish. :)

And I love the names!
Corundum is has some serious spunk to him. When I placed him last in the tank, he was flaring at everything (not attacking, just flaring). At the ghost shrimp, at the frogs, even at the plants. He's settled into his own now and struts around the aquarium as the king of his castle. Thank you for the compliment on the names as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf View Post
Very nice. I love the names as well.
I figured it was fitting since of my interest in geology and the absolute cornucopia of names that interesting and very different from what other people would choose.