Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #1 
agent89201

Water changes?!! SO CONFUSED NOW

I've been doing full water changes in my 2 gal about every four days, wiping down and rising everything with tap water. Then I replace everything, add conditioned water, my heater, and my fish. I went to a local pet store to buy an anubias minima in addition to the wisteria in my 2 gallon tank. The guy handling my plant said that I should only do full water changes about every two weeks or so while doing 50% water changes twice a week since I have live plants in my tank to handle the ammonia. He said that when I do the 100% changes, I should keep the good bacteria in my tank by changing the water, and rinsing everything with de-clhorinated water...that's it.

I just researched water changes and I'm finding pretty different results. I know people have differing views, but I'd like to know what your routines would be if you had/have had a betta in a 2/2.5 gallon tank. I figure that I am going to do full water changes every Sunday and do one 50% change every Wednesday. Opinions?
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Do you have a test kit? That's really the only way to tell if the plants are sucking up enough of the ammonia. Generally speaking however if you have a decent amount of plants you won't have to do any more 100% changes, provided the plants are actively growing and flourishing.

You can probably get away with only doing 50% changes since you have the wisteria. Slow growing plants like anubias don't take up as much ammonia as fast growing plants like wisteria.

If you don't have a filter you don't have good bacteria. That bacteria is established during a cycle, doing 100% water changes means you don't have a cycle. However, if you have enough fast growing plants you can effectively skip cycling because the plants will be doing the job that the bacteria would normally be doing.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote