Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #1 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Why do bettas come in cups?

Why are they in cups? Aren't they just going to die and the store loses money? Isn't it cruel? What is the safest way to buy a fish?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #2 
bahamut285

Keeping them in cups (or bags) allows for ease of storage/transportation and showcasing. People who work there are TECHNICALLY supposed to change out the water every so often out of the cups but they're not always available and/or remember to do it.

It is safe for bettas but not other types of fish simply because of how bettas breathe. Most fish require dissolved oxygen in the water, and a cup would not suffice. Buying regular fish are placed in bags with pressurized air so it is forced to dissolve into the water (equilibrium). Since bettas breathe oxygen by gulping air from the top, it is not necessary to provide them with dissolved oxygen, so a cup is the maximum cost-space efficiency to keep them in.

Cruelty is also in the eye of the beholder, while a lot of us here find cups to be cruel, the fact of the matter is that they ARE able to survive (vs. thrive) in a cup. Considering their behaviour, it would be cost inefficient (store loses money) to put them in lavish tanks EACH.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #3 
xtina127

My lps actually has their betta in 1g tanks with rocks on the bottem with clean water.. no little cups :)
They have a nice shelving display to place the bettas on until they sell.
xtina127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #4 
bahamut285

The petsmart that I go to...I have seen the people there change the water. They have two enormous buckets that they switch out water from.

At the BigAl's that I rarely go to (sketchy part of town), like xtina's lps, the bettas are in 1G cubes, but they give you a bag to take home. Their bettas are a little more expensive though (around $2 more)
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #5 
xtina127

they cost aprox $7.00 at my lps
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #6 
bahamut285

Yeah, it makes sense, they have to somehow afford to keep them in 1G tanks, haha. At my petsmart, CT males are $7.99, VT males are 4.99 and females are 3.99 (Canadian)

At Big Als, I'm not 100% sure on the pricing but I think the minimum is $7.99 for any type...maybe I should just once go and check it out, even though it's sketchy, lmao
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 
xtina127

My lps is really good, they take care of all fish they have. :) clean water, fed, decorations, :) I am happy with their fish care as well they give advice on proper care and its close to the advice and opinions on this group The shop owner actually owns one male betta in a 10 g at his home :)
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Keeping them in cups (or bags) allows for ease of storage/transportation and showcasing. People who work there are TECHNICALLY supposed to change out the water every so often out of the cups but they're not always available and/or remember to do it.

It is safe for bettas but not other types of fish simply because of how bettas breathe. Most fish require dissolved oxygen in the water, and a cup would not suffice. Buying regular fish are placed in bags with pressurized air so it is forced to dissolve into the water (equilibrium). Since bettas breathe oxygen by gulping air from the top, it is not necessary to provide them with dissolved oxygen, so a cup is the maximum cost-space efficiency to keep them in.

Cruelty is also in the eye of the beholder, while a lot of us here find cups to be cruel, the fact of the matter is that they ARE able to survive (vs. thrive) in a cup. Considering their behaviour, it would be cost inefficient (store loses money) to put them in lavish tanks EACH.
#labcoat

I agree with all of this. You have to remember that pet stores are a BUSINESS... their sole goal is to make money. Yes that is sad, and yes they should put the animals needs first but it doesn't happen. It's not cost effective to house bettas in large tanks because they need to be kept separated, so to do so would me jacking up the prices, which means less sales... Let's face it... a Mom with a whining kid who wants a fish is more likely to buy a $3.99 fish than the well kept one across town who is $7.99.

The ugly truth about petstores is they are there to please the uneducated, unwashed masses who just want a fish to say they have a fish... not the hobbyist who actually cares to give proper husbandry to their pets.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #9 
xtina127

The good thing about my lps is that it's the only one with in 6-7 hour drive from where i live I am in a very country like area lol.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #10 
chrissylee13

i agree with you all! i actually work at petsmart in pet care. so i get to do all of the betta water changes! sometimes i make it my job to do so because a lot of people find it annoying, or it takes forever. and it does take a while but i love how pretty and happy everyone looks after the water has been changed. thats also how i like to pick out my next one! :]
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote