Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #1 
WDW Donna

Does Severus have Clamped Fins?

My daughter brought home her first betta a few days ago. (my younger daughter and I have 2 each) He is a very young crowntail from Petsmart. I have noticed the last couple of days he is not dispaying his fins. I have tried putting a mirror to coax him but no luck
He is in a 5gal, heated (78 degrees) and filtered tank,
we used Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus water declorinator and conditioner when we set up the tank,
no tank mates,
Aqueon betta food,
have not performed a water change yet.
He is eating and otherwise seems to be OK
Is it possible he is just lazy, or still getting used to his new surroundings
Thank you for your input.
Attached Images

WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #2 
Silverfang

he is definitely clamped, it is possible that he is still adjusting to his new environment. He also looks very small, I Think keeping a closer eye on his diet will help.
How often do you feed him? and how much?
Also when did you introduce him to this tank? Did you acclimate him to both the water temperature and chemistry?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #3 
earthworm88

Looks like he is quite young, and is probably adjusting to a completely new environment to him. There seems to be a lot going on in his house, so he is needing the time to build his confidence if he is not inquisitive by nature.

I introduce my betta to a new tank differently, it is just my way of doing things. I would put a new betta in a new tank with nothing in it (if you want to have substrate, I think that would be the only thing in there), and then slowly put in the decors and plants. That's because they were used to little cups or little plastic bags with nothing in them. I usually observe them trying to check out the new item in the tank slowly and carefully, and once they are comfortable, I would add more.

So give him some time. As long as he has the appetite to eat, he should be fine.

Good luck and enjoy the new addition.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #4 
WDW Donna

Bad news. Severus died this morning.
Silverfang - I did acclimate him as per instructions on this website.He got two pellets in the morning and two at night. He would often only eat one each time though. I chose this brand because I know the pellets are really small for his little mouth.

I am wondering if he was too young. The only difference between Severus' tank and my other bettas is that his is a 5gal. The other have 2.5gal homes. We only had him a week so my daughter is taking him back because she kept the receipt. I think this has turned her off of bettas though, she is going to get another breed of fish.
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #5 
Silverfang

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. It's possible he was sick when you bought him, sometimes they are too far gone when you get them to do anything but give them a comfortable end.

It sounds like you were doing all the right things, I hope you don't give up.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #6 
earthworm88

Sorry to hear of Severus passing. As Silverfang said, it is likely he had been sick too long, but it was nice to have such a beautiful house to enjoy for the remaining time of his life however short.

I hope your daughter don't give up on bettas as they are really lovely and a joy to have which I am sure you know already.

Good luck, hope your daughter will give it another chance!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote