Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 
chicagojo

Is it possible he's eating salt residue?

My son's fish Rock N Roll has been in 3 tsp/G epsom for 13 days now (starting tomorrow the plan is to taper down). After the past 3 days of 50% water changes, he had been doing great. Today I did 100% water change and shortly after noticed that he was "snapping" at something on the surface of the water, as if he was eating, but I hadn't fed him anything since the water change. When I looked closely I saw that there were some little translucent flaky things floating in the water so I did another 100% water change, this time thoroughly scrubbing and rinsing the tank in the process. Now he is super-buoyant all of a sudden - he literally can't swim downward at all - and I'm wondering if it's possible there was some salt residue on the bottom of the tank and I stirred it up during the water change and that's what he was eating? If this is the case, is there anything I should do to help get it out of his system? I think this may have actually happened before, but I didn't realize what was going on and by the next day he was pretty much back to normal but I'm still concerned that he may have eaten a lot of salt residue and how that might impact him. TIA!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #2 
chicagojo

Floating poop?

All of a sudden (past 2 days), our betta's poop is floating on the surface of the water instead of sinking down like it normally does. The general color (brown) & appearance are the same as usual. We did recently change his food, so maybe that accounts for it? Just wondering if floating poop is any indication for concern. Thanks!

Sorry - I meant to post these as two separate questions but since it's the same fish we're talking about maybe it's better to put them together anyway. Sorry & thanks for any guidance anyone can offer!

Last edited by chicagojo; 01-12-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: correct error
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3 
BettaMommy531rip

He may have swim bladder disorder. It's when a fish can't swim down at all and they become bouyant as you said. I don't think it was from the epsom salt. It sounds alot like swim bladder disorder. I can't be exactly sure, but he sounds like he has all the symptoms. You treat it by lowering the water level a bit, reducing the amount you are feeding him, and adding API Stress Coat to his water. It is not contagious and it is 99.9 percent of the time NOT deadly if you treat it right. If his ailment still persists after about a week (probably a little more than a week) reduce his amount of food again.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
chicagojo

Sorry, I should have provided more background here - I have actually been treating him for SBD (hence the Epsom Salt bath) for quite a while now and couldn't figure out why he kept getting better, and then suddenly worse again and so now I'm wondering if something else could be the explanation. He had been doing great for at least 3 days leading up to today - not looking bloated, actually had a big poop earlier today...I thought his worsening was associated with feedings (so thought maybe I was feeding too much) but now I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the water changes (which typically I was doing around the same time as the feeding but the past several days I have been feeding him in the morning and changing the water 50% in the late afternoon...today was the 100% water change and that's when he got bad again...I'm wondering if those flaky things floating in the water that he was trying to eat (or actually eating) may have something to do with it...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #5 
chicagojo

On a similar note, I am wondering if it could have to do with slight changes in temperature that occur with water changes? I use a thermometer and try to get it within a couple of degrees, but maybe he is just very sensitive to temperature changes? I have heard that can cause a type of SBD...I will try to keep the temp as absolutely consistent as possible for a while to see if that helps. I feel like if he ever recovers fully, by then I will be an expert on SBD!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #6 
BettaMommy531rip

Well I hope he heals up soon. If he doesn't just PM me. I'll try to help. :)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote