Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 
michaelp

Betta watching me sleep

I don't know if this has happened to anybody before? I live alone in a single-wide trailer and have just become comfortable in the living room, which is adjacent to the kitchen. It's pretty much all one room and I rarely leave it. I have a couch bed that I usually sleep on instead of my real bed. So I fell asleep last night and forgot to turn off the fish tank light and I woke up about 1145pm.

I looked up at the tank to see my betta just staring at me, for what seemed like a couple minutes he didn't move. I just got up and turned his light off. It's been on my mind all day. Was I snoring loud enough to interest him? Was he really watching me? I am pretty sure he was it just seemed so odd? I couldn't wait to get off work to post this.

Could this have happened to anyone else?
michaelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 
Spook

Honestly, my best guess is that your Betta was probably sleeping! xD Fish don't have eyelids, so they sleep with their eyes wide open and it can look like they're staring.

My Betta likes to sleep either in his floating log, or on the bottom of his tank under a plant leaf, but sometimes he falls asleep right next to the glass and it can look kind of creepy.

Last edited by Spook; 01-03-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 
michaelp

He may have been. He's still the coolest fish ever. I had to put my hand in the tank the other day to get some plant bulbs out that weren't growing, and plant the one that has started. I'm sorry 2 have sprouted. I then added some water and wiped the tank down with a damp cloth. He was not a bit even bothered. He seemed to just watch me with interest the whole time. He's the best.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #4 
bubbleymonki

I think that's what my betta fish did too. Because I used to have the tank right next to my bed. So when I wake up, I saw my betta staying at the corner closest to my side. Looked like it was watching me. Because when I finally get out of bed, it started to swim crazy.
bubbleymonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

My best guess is that he was sleeping. Either that or annoyed that you didn't turn the light off when you normally do. Fish (just like us and many other animals) fall into routines. When that routine is broken they can get confused and even stressed (for the really stress-prone bettas).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Ghengis watches me when I am on the computer. -turns head- what do you want??!!!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

aww that's cute .... and, uh creepy xD i never had a betta that did that :P closest one that was like that was lunar, he will float up awhile sleeping or look dead on the gravel :P
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Yeah Sarah does that -had to poke her- x.x sorry sorry makin' sure you are alive...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #9 
michaelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
aww that's cute .... and, uh creepy xD i never had a betta that did that :P closest one that was like that was lunar, he will float up awhile sleeping or look dead on the gravel :P
Although strange I was pretty happy about it. He's very aware of me which is good, but yeah I bet he was a little upset I had left his light on. I usually turn it off about 9 and on about 6am. I hate to leave it on as I feel he needs to rest, even with all the plant growth in the tank to hide under/lean on total dark is the best for sleep, I know.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

I saw my betta Lelouch doing that too lying in wait actually he was all flared up half the night when my BFF was over he was watching her.

She called him a creeper when I told her and I couldn't help but laugh...But he really is a weirdo fish.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote