Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #1 
Flame1990

Talking Proper way to do water changes? (new betta fish owner)

Hi I just bought my first Betta a few days ago. I was worried about when it came time to do the water change..I know I should do 1 %50 water change a week & one full water change also. (I have a 2 gal bowl) For someone who is experienced in betta care what is the best way, step by step to go by making the water changes? That would put very little stress on my betta? Thanks! :)
Flame1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #2 
ArcticRain

Here is the way I do my water changes!

Step 1: Remove betta. Place in container you bought him in or in a plastic baggie.
Step 2: Take out all decorations (Plants, caves, thermometer, etc.)
Step 3: Remove heater. Note: Unplug heater before water change and let stand in water for 15 minutes before removing.
Step 4: Pour out all Water.
Step 5: Dump gravel out into never used strainer or just leave it in the tank.
Step 6: Rinse whole tank in hot water. If you left the gravel in the tank swish it around a lot. Dump water. Repeat till the water you poor out runs clear. Note: NEVER USE SOAP EVER!
Step 7: Rinse decorations in warm water. If you put gravel in strainer run water through strainer till water runs clear.
Step 8: Rinse heater and thermometer in Luke Warm water. Make sure the water is not too hot and not to cold. Extreme temps could harm heater.
Step 9: Re-assemble tank. Place decorations to your liking.
Step 10: Fill with water pre-treated with water conditioner.
Step 11: Place fish in the tank to float in baggie or cup. Plug in heater.
Step 12: While the heater is heating up acclimate fish (ask me if you need instructions on how to acclimate your fish).
Step 13: Once the heater has heated up and the fish is fully acclimated, release fish.
Step 14: Clean up. NEVER WASH ANY FISH SUPPLIES WITH SOAP!

This routine is for the 100% water changes. For the 50% just cup out 50% of the water and replace it carefully with pre-treated water. Make sure you disturb the fish as least as possible!
If I left out anything or if you have any questions just tell me!

Last edited by ArcticRain; 01-04-2012 at 03:40 AM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #3 
Flame1990

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
Here is the way I do my water changes!

Step 1: Remove betta. Place in container you bought him in or in a plastic baggie.
Step 2: Take out all decorations (Plants, caves, thermometer, etc.)
Step 3: Remove heater. Note: Unplug heater before water change and let stand in water for 15 minutes before removing.
Step 4: Pour out all Water.
Step 5: Dump gravel out into never used strainer or just leave it in the tank.
Step 6: Rinse whole tank in hot water. If you left the gravel in the tank swish it around a lot. Dump water. Repeat till the water you poor out runs clear. Note: NEVER USE SOAP EVER!
Step 7: Rinse decorations in warm water. If you put gravel in strainer run water through strainer till water runs clear.
Step 8: Rinse heater and thermometer in Luke Warm water. Make sure the water is not too hot and not to cold. Extreme temps could harm heater.
Step 9: Re-assemble tank. Place decorations to your liking.
Step 10: Fill with water pre-treated with water conditioner.
Step 11: Place fish in the tank to float in baggie or cup. Plug in heater.
Step 12: While the heater is heating up acclimate fish (ask me if you need instructions on how to acclimate your fish).
Step 13: Once the heater has heated up and the fish is fully acclimated, release fish.
Step 14: Clean up. NEVER WASH ANY FISH SUPPLIES WITH SOAP!

This routine is for the 100% water changes. For the 50% just cup out 50% of the water and replace it carefully with pre-treated water. Make sure you disturb the fish as least as possible!
If I left out anything or if you have any questions just tell me!

Thank you very much!! Yes could you please explain to me how to properly acclimate my betta?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

Acclimating is the process in which the fish becomes accustom to the new water chemistry. Here is my step by step process.

Step 1: Place the fish to float in the tank. He should already be in cup or bag.
Step 2: Every 5-10 minutes take out a little water from his cup and replace it with new water in his tank. Do this for at least 30 minutes. I reccomend doing it for an hour if you want to be sure he is fully acclimated.
Step 3: Once fully acclimated release into tank. Watch him to make sure he has no new ill effects from the new water.

You only have to acclimate him when you do 100% water changes because the water chemistry completely changes.

I also forgot to mention that when you do 50% water changes, replace with like temp water. :)
Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #5 
kitkatbar

So you don't have to acclimate for 50% changes--you can just leave the fish in the tank?
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #6 
ArcticRain

Correct me if im wrong but, depends on the size of you tank IMO. If your tank is 1.5 gallon or below then I would say no. Then I would reccomend you remove the fish and re acclimate him. But, for 2 gallon and up you would always be leaving at least a gallon of water in the tank.
I always remove my fish and re acclimate them. But, you don't have to if your really really careful.

If you do leave them in for 50% water changes I would reccomend you get some airline tubing and get a siphon going to put the water back in. That way, the water goes in slowly and you don't have to stand there for 10 minuets pouring water into a your tank.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

I always remove the fish for 50% water changes. I know that if the temp of the new water is even a couple of degrees off it can shock the fish. I just removed and acclimate every time. I stick with the safe side.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #8 
ArcticRain

That's what I do too. :)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #9 
Flame1990

Thanks guys! Very helpful.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #10 
gretschaddict

I found this very useful as well. Thanks! For changing the water, does the separate container that the fish goes into need to be heat-monitered as well?
gretschaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 gallons, betta care, male betta, proper care, water changes