Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #1 
ArcticRain

So...Tempted...Must...Show..Self-Control! Help?

Well, as you know this fourm is probably not the best place to get help on some self-control issues... especially when i'm trying to control myself from getting another betta.

Today when I went to Petco I saw a White Dragon HMPK. He had some turquoise iridescent streaks in his fins that were just beautiful! He seemed pretty healthy, just a touch of Fin Rot but nothing major. I could probably get it cleared up with just some clean, warm water and a little TLC. He has been there since before Christmas and I am so tempted.
I didn't think about buying him when i saw him today because my other betta is having some issues and I had to get home right away. But, now that I'm home I can't get him out of my mind. I even have a name picked out... BlueJay.
The problem is I don't really have a spare tank to put him in. The only other tank I have is currently being used as a QT.

I can't get him out of my mind. But then, My other fish is not doing to well and adding another fish would just mean double the work. What would you do?

His fins look kind of like this but his body had the scaling of a White Dragon! Note: I got this picture from Google.

Just a random question but, would a sound machine prevent bettas from sleeping at night?

Last edited by ArcticRain; 01-04-2012 at 02:15 AM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 
ManInBlack2010

don't ask me i'm going through the same issue, lol. i'm REALLY itching to get another betta, i saw a green/white butterfly HM male at petsmart last week and i need to go back and get a new water testing kit but i'm worried he'll be there and i wouldn't be able to resist. my parents have a three tank rule in my room and right now i have 4 *facepalm*

whats wrong with mr. plum! if i were you i'd prob worry about the fish you have... especially since you don't have another tank (that's what i keep telling myself, lol)

and about the sound machine... i have no idea, that's a good question. i'd have to say no 'cause i think they don't really sleep they just go into a rest type of thing... you can tell i didn't do to well in biology, lol
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

Gah, I could always by one of the large kritter keepers? I got some money for Christmas that I could use. I already I got a heater, gravel and a thermometer. So, all I would need is the the tank, a couple plants, a cave and the fishy!
If I saw a Green/White butterly I would absolutely not be able to resist!

I think Mr. Plums new heater was releasing toxins into the water. I caught it fast though so, now he is using my other spare tank as a QT. He is getting better though so, it shouldn't be long till he is as good as new!

I was wondering about the sound machine because I'm thinking of moving the QT into my room so I can watch him better. But, I sleep with I sound machine set on waterfall. I was wondering if it would bother him.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 
SpookyTooth

The sound machine sounds wonderful... I want one! LOL. How relaxing!!

I'd love to get a second betta as well but am rather apprehensive. If you think you can manage the workload I would say go for it, but if you have doubts maybe something is trying to tell you to wait for a little longer.

Hmm. Decisions decisions D:. I guess I'm somewhat lucky; our local pet store doesn't have many bettas (they usually only have two at a time, the "classic" red or blue veiltails) and if I want something unique I'll have to pay upward of 15 for one - money that I really can't spare right now.

Still, it's all down to you. Maybe waiting until Mr. Plum is in good health would be better, but if this guy has really entered your mind it may be a sign that you should pick him up. Sometimes these things happen -Shrugs-.

I'm not helping, am I? LOL.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
Gah, I could always by one of the large kritter keepers? I got some money for Christmas that I could use. I already I got a heater, gravel and a thermometer. So, all I would need is the the tank, a couple plants, a cave and the fishy!
If I saw a Green/White butterly I would absolutely not be able to resist!

I think Mr. Plums new heater was releasing toxins into the water. I caught it fast though so, now he is using my other spare tank as a QT. He is getting better though so, it shouldn't be long till he is as good as new!
yeah he was this color pattern:
http://tinyurl.com/7pqcp5k

with this color green:
http://tinyurl.com/6pf5wu7

i've got a plan though, i'm gonna get the test kit on my way to work so i will logically not be able to bring my betta to work with me, lol

as for the critter keepers... yeah that would be a lot easier... well, ya know, if you're willing to put in the time/water changes/expenses of another fish go for it.. i can live vicariously through you since i've reached my tank limit haha

and that's so sad about mr plum! if you don't mind me asking what kind of heater was it and how did you know it was relasing toxins in the water? there's this filmy layer on top of my one betta's tank and i'm a little concerned about it. glad he's getting better though!
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #6 
ArcticRain

ManInBlack2010 - It was an Aqueon Submersible Heater 50watts.
I didn't know for sure what was wrong. But, then someone posted on my thread about how their fish had experienced the exact same thing with their Top Fin heater. The pieces just fell together!
I had removed the heater after reading some reviews about it releasing toxins and I guess I caught it soon enough that now he is making progress!
If you want to read mor about it check out the thread "Is my Betta just sleepy or is there something seriously wrong?" in the diseases part of the fourm!
That Betta sounds beautiful!! My tank limit is two, so this would be that last one for me!

SpookyTooth - You just made me want him more!! I just have this gut feeling... I had a gut feeling when I saw Mr. Plum too. I don't know if I will be able resist!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #7 
SpookyTooth

Awww I'm sorry xD. I think I'd better return to the shadows from whence I came and let other people talk you out of it. -Shuffles backwards slowly-
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

If you have the means to take care of him, go back and get him. I did the same thing as you when I saw my Sheldon and by the time I couldn't take it anymore, it was too late for him. If you can care for another, go get him :) Although, this is coming from someone with 16 Bettas... that said 3 was the limit. Or was it 5? I dunno.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #9 
Lucille

IF you have the means to take care of him then go get him. If you go back in a couple days and he is gone you will be sad. Obviously this doesn't happen to you all the time or you would have hundreds of bettas, so go get this one.
Lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 
ArcticRain

Thanks guys! I'm going to go get him later!! Hopefully he is still there! I will buy him a either a 3 gallon critter keeper or a 2 gallon drum bowl. I will soon upgrade him to an actually tank when Mr. Plum gets feeling better, but this new guy will live in a cup no longer!!