Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #1 
Saltycturtle

Netting techniques - how do I net the world's most evasive fish?!

Possibly an odd question, but I have an extremely active fish that is nearly impossible to catch. I have a fine mesh net (the net part is half the size of an adult hand) and a jug, but after a couple of trips into the jug, he learnt how to avoid being scooped up. Since then, every water change is a game of chase and I'm worried that I'm stressing the little guy. Even worse, his cheek was injured during a recent bout So, does anyone have any tricks of the trade?!
Saltycturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Maybe try using a cup? What I usually do is I lure my fish and pretend "Hey, buddy, it's feeding time! ^.^" and my betta's like "Yeah! Food! *swims to surface* What cha got for me this time?" I use the cup I got him in and scoop in behind him. He doesn't notice until the suction of the water from the cup takes him in- so even if he resists, he isn't able to do so. I used to use a net and didn't really care for having to chase him every which way... I've noticed a significant difference in stress- there's little to no stress when using the cup ^.^ At least, that's how it turned out with me... >.> If you haven't tried it, I'm sure it's worth a shot.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #3 
Saltycturtle

Catching fish...

Thanks for that - I think I might have given up on the jug too easily - I was trying to catch him with the jug half in the water, so the suction wasn't that great... I'll give the jug another go. Like you say, the net really does seem to cause just too much stress!
Saltycturtle is offline   Reply With Quote