Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #11 
ChibiShishou

I know what you mean about tank jumping! Im always worried my Ichiru is going to find out theres a hole in the top part of the tank (no matter how small) and jump through it ! And hes so impatient hes jumped and tried to eat my finger while Im feeding him!2 inches my eye my boy can jump a good 3-4 inches out of the water and hes not afraid to do it! XD

I am considering getting him some meat though, do they sell bugs at a pet shop for fish food? Or should I catch my own>
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #12 
bettalover2033

Well i have had this happen mostly with the females though. One female died because she dried up before i noticed she was out of her tank.

I dont think it is suggested to feed fish meat...i dont think they sell bugs for fish.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #13 
Aus

You can easily raise your own mosquito larvae, just leave a bucket of water out covered enough to stop leaves and other stuff falling in it, and voila - mozzie wrigglers. Unless you have neighbours who spray chemical garden stuffs (sprays drift) it ought to be okay.

My fish loves brine shrimp, which you can buy live or as a 'kit' (sea monkeys!) to raise your own. He loves chasing them around, though the shrimp never manage to get very far... I froze half and defrost one now and then for a snack. In my house, we don't eat the pink ice cubes.

Other live food that I see a lot of folks recommend is blood worms or blackworms.

I'm a bit cautious about feeding my fish just any old bugs, even though wild bettas must eat a pile of whatever's hanging around near the water. The fly he ate wasn't my choice of snack for him! he did enjoy it though.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #14 
ChibiShishou

Sea Monkeys. Now THAT is interesting!!!! Thank you I may have to try that! Yeah I wouldnt give him anythung unhealthy/ unsafe. Although how safe are sea monkeys for bettas to eat?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #15 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
You can easily raise your own mosquito larvae, just leave a bucket of water out covered enough to stop leaves and other stuff falling in it, and voila - mozzie wrigglers. Unless you have neighbours who spray chemical garden stuffs (sprays drift) it ought to be okay.

My fish loves brine shrimp, which you can buy live or as a 'kit' (sea monkeys!) to raise your own. He loves chasing them around, though the shrimp never manage to get very far... I froze half and defrost one now and then for a snack. In my house, we don't eat the pink ice cubes.

Other live food that I see a lot of folks recommend is blood worms or blackworms.

I'm a bit cautious about feeding my fish just any old bugs, even though wild bettas must eat a pile of whatever's hanging around near the water. The fly he ate wasn't my choice of snack for him! he did enjoy it though.
Well what we all have to understand is these are Betta Splendens. They are entirely different than a wild betta. Some wild bettas can live together with no real aggression, while other will chew the heads off of their type in seconds.

I would recommend bloodworms because they are VERY high quality food and bettas love them! They seem to be their favorite kind of food.

Also you should not buy a kit of "sea monkeys" because you can just get a Brine Shrimp egg vial that holds SO much more than a kit would and are less expensive.

I would say that it is safe for bettas to eat flies and since I know nothing about infections that a betta can get FROM eating flies, I will keep a metal cover with the tank hood on it.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #16 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Well what we all have to understand is these are Betta Splendens.
Hence : "I'm a bit cautious.."

Chibi, 'sea monkeys' is a silly name for brine shrimp. Which you can buy live at the local aquarium shop, or apparently as eggs in a vial. Though I have not seen such a thing, only the sea monkey kits. Learn something new every day!

I learned about brine shrimp as a live food through recommendations here. I believe they make a good occasional snack, but perhaps are not best as a main food over balanced pellets.

Do correct me, somebody, if I have that wrong.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #17 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Hence : "I'm a bit cautious.."

Chibi, 'sea monkeys' is a silly name for brine shrimp. Which you can buy live at the local aquarium shop, or apparently as eggs in a vial. Though I have not seen such a thing, only the sea monkey kits. Learn something new every day!

I learned about brine shrimp as a live food through recommendations here. I believe they make a good occasional snack, but perhaps are not best as a main food over balanced pellets.

Do correct me, somebody, if I have that wrong.
This is where the term BBS comes intl play. BBS is simply Baby Brine Shrimp. I have never heard of live brine shrimp being sold T pet stores though so it is true that you do learn something everyday!.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #18 
ChibiShishou

Im definitely taking notes! ^^ My betta does enjoy his blood worms so getting his diet more varied would be nice.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You might find wingless fruit flies at your LFS; certainly online. And there are instructions for raising your own, so you don't ever have to buy them again.

My fish liked them, until I stopped maintaining them. May have to do it again.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #20 
bettalover2033

@hallyx: how would me raise wingless flies?
Posted via Mobile Device