Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #41 
xbecky685x

Your fish both have such a gorgeous colour!
I think i may have to look out for a fish similar when im ready to get my second :)
x
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #42 
tpocicat

Thank you!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #43 
tpocicat

My fry are still doing very well. I've only found one dead fry so far, doesn't mean I haven't lost more, I just haven't seen them.
Last night while siphoning out water (I use air line), one of the fry somehow got sucked up and fell on the paper towel I have in front of the tank while cleaning. Anyway, I very carefully touched him/her with my finger, and swished him/her back in the tank. The fry looked a little stunned at first, but then swam off, what a relief! Probably saying, "hey guys, guess what happened to me?"
When adding new water, I use the drip line method. That way the chemistry doesn't change very quickly. There is a size difference, but I've come to believe that is normal in spawns.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #44 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Size difference is normal. You might get some 2cm (less than 1") while some are still less than 5mm. If you have an extra tank, it would be best to separate them by size. This should give the small ones a chance to grow.

Keep up the good work.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #45 
tpocicat

My fry are only a little over two weeks old. Isn't that too young to be moving to new tanks?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #46 
Bambi

Mine are the same age and i'm afraid to separate them yet as well. >< But yeah, i also have the huge size differences. x.x
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #47 
bettalover2033

It is never too early to separate and start movingbthem as long as you can catch them and have the water ages and with very close to the exact water as your current tank.

I would suggest separating, but it isnt essential at he moment. Just wait until they are three or three and a half weeks or so if you would feel more comfortable then.

This kind of thing, many breeders have to make choices and it differs as many breeders have different ways of breeding that works for them, but may not work for others.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #48 
tpocicat

At the moment, I feel comfortable leaving the smaller fry in with their bigger siblings. I have a large amount of java moss that they can hide in if there is any trouble. So far, I haven't seen any of the bigger fry picking on the smaller ones.
At feeding time, they all come out and that is pretty much the only time I see the smaller ones. I haven't seen any agression yet.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #49 
Curlyfatbottom

You should be fine for another few weeks.
Cause The bigger one is not big enough to eat the little ones yet.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #50 
tpocicat

Thank you Curlyfatbottom. I think that there shouldn't be any trouble especially as long as they are fed often enough.