Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #1 
Flame1990

Exclamation Should I get a heater?!

Hi! I live in Texas where it gets very hot in the summer time ( up to 110 degrees) but its winter time here now and I usually keep the temperature in the house @ about 73 for it to be comfortable for everyone. I was worried about my betta though, I know they thrive in warmer temps but to keep the house at 80 degrees would be uncomfortable..my Betta seems very lively and happy, but I worry that the water temperature is to cold. Should I run out and get a heater for him today? Oh, he lives in a 2 gal bowl btw.
Flame1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

I would get a heater.
I keep my house so warm in the summer that my tanks don't need the heaters then. So, in the warmer months I take the heater out and put it aside. In the winter though, I keep the house around 72 (and even my heat can't keep it to that temp) so the heaters are a must.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #3 
Flame1990

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
I would get a heater.
I keep my house so warm in the summer that my tanks don't need the heaters then. So, in the warmer months I take the heater out and put it aside. In the winter though, I keep the house around 72 (and even my heat can't keep it to that temp) so the heaters are a must.
Thanks! What is the best type of heater to get for a 2 gal tank? The past heaters I have looked at have looked to big to place in a 2 gal tank!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

For a 2 gallon, get a mini heater... this'll keep him warm and happy!! Bettas like between 78-80, maximum (asides during treatments).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

A lot of people here are raving over the Hagen Elite mini 25w preset heater. They say it is actually adjustable.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

an adjustable mini heater??!! -looks it up- xD
wait...ohh it's Hagen that's why xD I got one of the bigger ones. like...super big... -should sell it-
I also have another one, for a 10-20. I really recommend that brand never had a problem.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #7 
BettaMommy531rip

Get a mini heater for a 2 gal. :)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #8 
WiggleSwim

Yes, i think you should. I also live on TX and thought I wouldn't need a heater until the temps started dropping one night and Charlie started to get real sluggish and strange acting. Luckily, I had a thermometer in the tank and it was reading in the mid-60s! After I read the need for Bettas to have a temp somewhere between 75-80 degrees F and seeing my local weather report showing dips to 32 degrees F overnight, I went out and bought an Aqueon 10W Mini Heater from PetSmart and now Charlie seems much happier. The temp is still reading like 74-76 degrees F, but turning on the lamp or having the radiator not too far gets it to 76-78 degrees F. In the summer, I do plan on taking it out because it gets burning hot in my house with the poor A/C unit.
WiggleSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #9 
Flame1990

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggleSwim View Post
Yes, i think you should. I also live on TX and thought I wouldn't need a heater until the temps started dropping one night and Charlie started to get real sluggish and strange acting. Luckily, I had a thermometer in the tank and it was reading in the mid-60s! After I read the need for Bettas to have a temp somewhere between 75-80 degrees F and seeing my local weather report showing dips to 32 degrees F overnight, I went out and bought an Aqueon 10W Mini Heater from PetSmart and now Charlie seems much happier. The temp is still reading like 74-76 degrees F, but turning on the lamp or having the radiator not too far gets it to 76-78 degrees F. In the summer, I do plan on taking it out because it gets burning hot in my house with the poor A/C unit.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #10 
Laki

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752191
Any thoughts on this one?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 gallon tank, betta care, happy betta, male betta, water temperature