Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #1 
Saltycturtle

Exclamation Urgent help needed for little Zorro!!!

I posted a message asking for advice on my Bettas' ragged fins (new to Bettas and need advice on ragged fins) and have had no replies. I have just gotten home from uni and I see that little Zorro has the tell-tale white spots of ich... I have attached a couple of pictures...
Due to ragged fins I have been doing 100% water changes with 3 teaspoons of salt, obviously this hasnít kept away the ich. Please advise what to do - this is exactly how my last Betta died (also within a week of purchase), what am I doing wrong? What can I do? Here is some information on the current set-up:
Size: 28L/7 gallons
Temperature: 25C/77F
Lighting: Overhead in-tank lighting, 8 hours a day
Contents: Air filter and under gravel heating, gravel fully covering base, mutliple synthetic soft plants, plastic cave and silicone anenome
Changes: (Standard) 20% when nitrate 0.25 or higher (tested daily). (With ragged fins) 100%.
Water: (Standard change) Tap water treated with 1/4 teaspoon Stress Coat, 1/4 teaspoon Stress Zyme and 1/2 teaspoon aquarium salt
(100% change) Tap water treated with 3/4 teaspoon Stress Coat and 1 teaspoon Stress Zyme, plus 1 teapsoon aquarium salt
Food: Betta pellets (1 x morning, 1-2 x evening - depending on voracity of feeding)
Attached Images

Saltycturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #2 
Luimeril

his fins don't really look ragged. he just has some reduced webbing. maybe he's a crowntail-cross?

i'd stop the salt treatments, since there's nothing really wrong with his fins. it could cause immunities to it that could be harmful later on if salt is ever needed. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #3 
Saltycturtle

Exclamation Urgent help needed for little Zorro

Hi Luimeril,

I know his fins don't look too bad, but I have attached a photo of him taken about a week ago and you can see that his fins are not ragged; the near translucent areas in the older photos are now gone.

I know what you mean about the salt treatments, but those white spots are really worrying me. Reading the posts on this site suggests that my last fish might well have columaris and I don't want to risk Zorro getting worse

I have done a 100% water change, cleaned the gravel and tank ornaments and am currently trying the ick 12 hourly treatment of 1 teaspoon per gallon up to 3x normal salinity suggested on this forum. Zorro is showing no reduced appetite but he has the white spots on the fin bases and cheek. During transfer to a small bucket during cleaning his white spotted cheek was damaged (he's very, very lively) so I now have to worry about infection

So, the short version I guess, given that his fins are slightly more ragged and he suddenly has approximately 10 white spots on him (plus a scraped cheek), should I continue the salt treatment (to 14 teaspoons salt in a 7 gallon tank) or try something else?
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #4 
Luimeril

the clear stuff at the end is new growth. nothing to worry about. i see it in the last pic you posted.

i know it's tempting to dose them right away, but sometimes you have to hold back. i have OCD, HATE getting things on my hands, and i'm very... germ-phobic. i have my veiltail, Scout, in the same tank that my female, Caroline was in. she was very sick with something, and i got him the day she died. to combat any illness, i washed his tank in scalding water, soaked the decor in scalding water with a bit of AQ salt. seems to have gotten rid of whatever made her sick.

if the white spots aren't gone... i dunno. :T is he scraping against anything, or looking like he has an itch?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 
Saltycturtle

Urgent help needed for little Zorro!

Hi,

After a night of increased salt his white spots have decreased - only four remain and maybe it's my eyesight but they look smaller... The salt seems to have helped a lot - perhaps instead of further increasing the dose, I might just do a water change - what do you think?