Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

The lettuce in my blackworm tub goes funky after around 24 hours. The cucumber tends to last a touch longer but I wouldn't leave any uneaten veggies in for longer than that.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #12 
BettaMiah

How would I teach Beau to do that?

And yes, I give him one flake at a time and if he misses it or doesn't see it I will suck it up with a turkey baster and put it right infront of his face.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

That works too :) I've fed koi by hand. Goldfish are pretty smart - they get the hang of it. let your goldie get used to your hand near him when he eats. after, have a piece stuck to your fingers. he'll eventually take it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

It doesn't matter too much if a few flakes or pellets go into the substrate. Goldfish enjoy foraging at the bottom. Mine spend all day looking for more food.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

True, just Miah has a small tank. Hopefully you can be allowed to upgrade.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #16 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Mine went a week or two without touching anything remotely green-looking. I tried blanched lettuce, spinach and cucumber and of course my homemade gel food. Plus there was a big chunk of elodea floating around in their tank. They hand-feed, so I tried to get them to come up and take it off me, but the only thing they really ate were peas.

However, my dad's goldfish is around 8 or 9 years old now and has never had anything but commercial food its whole life.

The three of them do look healthy and happy, though my dad's one is very stunted (about half the size he should be), and I'm looking into a more vegetable-based food for them as I worry they get too much protein in their diet. I do powerfeed my blackworms lettuce and cucumber, so I'm not sure how much of those nutrients get passed onto my goldfish.
You're right to try to cut down on their protein. Too much at an older age can lead to fatty livers. If peas are the only greens your guys will eat, then I'd continue to do just that. Goldfish are omnivorous, and even though the commercial foods we give them have wheat in it, they can't digest that. It all goes to poop. Some goldfish can live on commercial feed their whole lives and it won't cause digestive problems. Others can't. Your dad was lucky like that. The commercial feed probably did contribute a bit to the stunting, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
How would I teach Beau to do that?
I taught my guys to eat from my hand by making hand-food the only food available. I just stopped dropping pellets in and only hand fed them. It took one of my guys about a week to catch on, but now they are both nibbling at my fingers whenever I put them in the tank.

#6 Thriving vs Surviving
I want to take a minute and talk about the notion of surviving versus thriving. Goldfish are pretty hardy and can survive in many conditions, especially the common-types. They can take low temps, they can take high temps. They can live off the crappiest commercial food ever and in dirty, cramped spaces. This is one of the reasons that goldfish are found on every continent.

But that is not thriving. Goldfish that are kept under "survive" conditions won't live as long, won't have as vibrant colors or personality, and may be prone to getting sick often. Thriving goldfish get large (6+ inches) have beautiful colors and perfect finnage, and show a lot more intelligence than most people think. Orandas get huge wens, and vieltails really look like they are wearing a wedding dress. When we allow goldfish to thrive, they will often live upwards of 15 years.

You will hear many stories about oh my so-and-so kept a common goldfish in a 10 gal tank and it lived for 6 years. Yes, that fish survived, but I can guarantee it did not thrive. I'll get off my soapbox now. (Please don't think this was directed at you, LittleBettaFish.)

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 01-04-2012 at 09:15 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

nicely said, however. And it is true...as..I did...know someone who had a goldie for idk 5-6 years in A BOWL :o I was surprised it lasted that long. of course he added "yeah well it was always sick." -.-
I couldn't imagine why. poor thing didn't get cleaned enough, the best foods, or enough space to grow :)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
nicely said, however. And it is true...as..I did...know someone who had a goldie for idk 5-6 years in A BOWL :o I was surprised it lasted that long. of course he added "yeah well it was always sick." -.-
I couldn't imagine why. poor thing didn't get cleaned enough, the best foods, or enough space to grow :)
You hit the nail on the head. Cases like this are why people continue to believe that goldfish don't require any care at all. Of course, the aquarium industry doesn't help either. Next time you go into a pet store, look at the fish that are pictured on the smallest tanks. Many are goldfish. I found these two atrocities just in a quick browse through the petsmart site: Marina Goldfish 2.65 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit and Baby biOrb 4 Gallon Silver Aquarium Starter Kit
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

I know my tank now is too small for goldfish (think it's 45-50 gallons), but unfortunately without reinforcement our floor can't hold the weight of my 110 gallon tank, which weighs 100 kilograms when empty.

Fortunately, my mum has agreed to installing a 1000 litre pond this year so the three of them will be moving out into that and enjoying life as 'wild' goldfish haha.

I will never get why people try and cram as many fish into a tank as they can. Not only is it cruel, but it looks bloody ugly as well. It's like there's this disconnect between the small goldfish sold in pet stores and the full-grown goldfish you see in ponds and large aquariums. So many people do not realise IT IS THE SAME FISH! It drives me insane.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

I had that 2.65 one for bettas. Because I thought "hey. 10.00 on sale. totally." and plus the filter was adjustable Any "goldfish" things I actually have.. like the "goldfish 1 gallon starter kit: comes with plant and gravel" the gravel was basically beads, the plant I use in the sorority tank xD the container is used as quarantine.

A 45-50 gallon is fine for one goldfish, with proper filtration.
But, I've seen some pretty good people care for goldies in smaller tanks, and aim towards bigger ones in the future - all while keepin' their pets alive, and well, and end up getting bigger tanks (or, like you mentioned, ponds)

<<<< personally wants a black moore >.> but I dont have a tank that'll fit one. nor the space. all space to bettas.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-04-2012 at 10:27 PM.