Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question Sarah needs her own food :|

Okay, so as some may know I got a little female named Sarah who is luckily half an inch. I am going to the store today to retreive the other girl, who is SMALLER :o

Now I've noticed, that though I have "Tetramin tropical granules" that are small enough for the rest of my bettas... she is too small.

So while I am in the store, is there anything I could be looking out for?

I MIGHT get frozen bloodworms... There are live worms (mealworm, butterworm, king worm, etc), but that is all for live food. Now, I have seen tubifex worms...y'know...in a tube... never really looked at it.
That's all I know of the store =D but I want to go in already knowing what to look for.

I won't feed her the miniscule "nutrafin max baby fish formula" granules. they are too small. And all I have that she can eat is freeze dried bloodworms...but those are not supposed to be the main diet.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #2 

She should be able to eat most frozen foods. I hear good things about frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia, and I'm sure there are other frozen foods she could have as well. Many live foods would be easy for her to eat as well, though you may have to cut them up (I've never fed live foods). If you are able to cut up or crush the pellets to make them small enough to eat, then any high protein pellet with plenty of animal based ingredients would also suffice. You could try just about any food if you are able to cut it up or crush it. I've crushed pellets before; I just put them in a bowl and went at it with a knife hilt. It was a bit messy, but I got enough out of it for quite a few feedings.
7103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

thanks!!

I've fed my bettas mealworms before. do you know if any of the live worms have a better protein/nutrition? I usually chop up the worm, and squeeze out the meat (ew.) to avoid them choking on the shells :)

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #4 

I'm not really sure which worms are best for them; I always had the impression that most of them would be fairly good, as long as they aren't harboring any parasites. Variety is good, as well; one type of food may have nutritional benefits that another lacks. I've never been able to try much in the way of live foods; I live in a dorm room most of the year and keeping such things tends to alienate roommates.
7103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

yeah it's true. worms are gross xDD but I'll do it (again) for my bettas

There have been no complaints about the bugs sold here, happily.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #6 
tpocicat

You could also try crushing betta pellets for her. My older fry love crushed Atison's betta pellets.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

problem is little bugger snubs the pellets. she ate one (a whooole one) and downs the dried bloodworms. but I dont want her to have JUST freeze dried x.x
Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Most of the boys I took home this summer from the pet store wouldn't have anything to do with pellets and only wanted freeze dried. Tough love, I would offer pellets twice a day and if they didn't eat, oh well! Eventually they gobbled them down after about 3-4 days. Lately I'm noticing the Bettas from the store are willing to eat pellets before they even get in their QT tanks, so hopefully that means they switched from freeze dried worms at the store. Anyways... that's what I do/would do :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #9 
CalvinWill

I have been using New Life Spectrum Small Fish and GROW formulas on my smaller fish. They are both .5mm pellets. Very small and awesome ingredients.

NLS Small fish formula is available in pretty much any PetCo. - 43% protein.
NLS GROW formula i have only been able to get from eBay. - 52% protein.
CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

lol Pitluvs. this store gives "variety flake" y'know. stuff goldfish like.

Anyways, I went there, they have absolutely nothing. However out of killing a myth, I've HEARD people feeding ground beef or chicken to their fish O_O I prolly won't... but has anyone heard of it?

And thanks Calvin I'll look for those