Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1 
waveseeker

a 39 gallon upside down tank?!

I have a ten gallon tank, but i recently got a 29 gallon, i was wondering how possible it would be to alter the ten gallon so it can sit a few inches below water level to make it an upside down tank, in my 29 gallon tank, and set up a betta sorority in it, along with a few neon tetras, and a plecto, live plants, and all that,

a few other questions to go along are,

would i be able to buy a 30 gallon filter, and use it WITH my 10 gallon filter on the other side of the tank, will that be enough? or do i need to buy a 40 gallon filter?

Same thing with heaters, could i just use my 10 gal heater, and buy a 30 gal heater for the other side of the tank?

of course i will do the standard betta setup, tons of plants, (live ones too! :D) and hiding places, but i was wondering how HARD would the upkeep be? i know the bettas will be smart enough to swim down to get air, but i mean with the cleaning, and feeding, and everything, opinions?

and how well will the bettas thrive in a tank like this?

Last edited by waveseeker; 01-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
waveseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

There was actually a thread here not too long ago about bettas in inverted tanks, and the general consensus was it is not a good idea. Bettas need access to atmospheric oxygen. Even if you left some room at the top of the tank, the air would quickly become CO2 saturated. I'm sorry. But you could still set up the 10 gal as a sorority or divide it and have 2 males.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #3 
bettafish15

As bettas are air-breathing fish, this is not a good idea. Air would run out even if you left some at the top.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 
waveseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveseeker View Post
i know the bettas will be smart enough to swim down to get air,
i know there will be no air at the top. that is how it's planned. and they will be swimming down, then back up for air on the other side of the tank.

But i have already moved on from the idea, thanks anyways.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 
BettaMommy531rip

You could try making your own betta barracks. You could probably look up DIY betta barracks on google. But just make the barracks extra large to make them an apropriate live-in size for your two males. Then you can have your girls and you boys together. Or you can look up DIY tank dividers on google. Then put the dividers on either side of you tank so that boys and sorority girls get to live together without causing issues.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 
waveseeker

...what? when did i ever mention two males??!

Just females... haha.

Tags
aquarium, betta, safety, sorority, upside down tank