Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
Kjw1998

Betta open wound on head and pet store recommended...........

I have a betta with a strange indention on his head. It look like his flesh is showing in this area and that his scales are gone. A while back he had a case of fin rot and the vet put him on antibiotic soaks for 5 hours a day for 10 days. He literally came back from the dead! But after these treatments, this area on his face showed up and I am very worried. The pet store folks gave me MELAFIX and wonder what you guys think about that treatment? And also, can you tell what this is? Picture attached. Thanks!
Attached Images

Kjw1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #2 
Tobythefish

He's cute. :) I don't know what to do about his head, more experienced members can help there, but you should definitly not use Melafix or Bettafix for that matter. Both can harm a bettas Labyrinth organ.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 
Kjw1998

Thank you so much, I wont even open the bottle and return it!
Kjw1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 
SwimmR

I'd do the salt treatment - 1tsp/gal (AQ or other non-iodized salt). Do for 5-10 days (no more). It's great for healing any kind of wound.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Bettafix is a watered down version of mellafix - both contain tea tree oil, which can harm a betta's labyrnth organ. Some bettas are very very sensitive to it, while others are not. However, it does work, but I'd recommend other options first.Remember - it MIGHT say "betta" on it, but it doesn't always mean it's the best stuff on the market.

It looks like a "Scrape", if he happened to have dashed around bumping into something with a sharp edge. Is there anything in your tank, like a hard ornament? Or another fish?

Aqarium salt, like SwimmR said. if you can, float him in a 1 gallon container, in his tank to keep the temperature warm. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt, in tank water, and add. I suggest no more than 10 days, as this will cause more trouble then good. 100% water change each day while on treatment.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote