Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #1 
12thletter

Unhappy Popeye?

I am wondering if there is anything else I can be doing for treatment. Are raised scales with popeye normal? What could that indicate? I feel really bad because when he developed one small bump I decided just to watch it because my betta didn't have any other changes. Then, after two weeks I go for 3 days and then he goes down hill! He has another betta as a tank mate (divided of course) and I noticed today that he has a small bump growing by his left eye.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon usually but after I saw how deformed my betta had become I transferred him to a 2.5 gallon for treatment.
What temperature is your tank? 76 F.
Does your tank have a filter? the 10 gallon did but the 2.5's do not.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not other than what the filter creates.
Is your tank heated? Yes both the 10 and the 2.5's.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another male betta in a divided tank. No tank mate in the 2.5.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Alternate between frozen blood worms and betta flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day but depends on belly size.
Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No I have not.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Developed lmultiple head bumps and popeye with raised scales only on the head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Behavior has not changed. He is still active per his normal and has a good appetite! His eye looks uncomfortable though!!!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The first bump was about two weeks ago but it didn't grow in two weeks until I went on vacation for 3 days. When I came back he had multiple bumps, popeye, and raised scales.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I moved him to a 2.5 heated tank. I started lifegard all-in-one treatment. I am planning on doing daily water changes as well for both fish.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure I bought him from a pet store but he was pretty small. I have had him ~4 months.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
12thletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 
12thletter

Anyone?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....

Can you post a pic.....

Sadly, once the scale are starting to stick up it can mean organ failure and not much can be done, however, don't give up too soon either....I would go ahead and start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) tannins and water changes in a small QT container that can be floated (attached so not to sink) in a heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this steep for 30min and use this Tx water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today.

Tomorrow start 50% water changes with the premixed Tx water daily for 3 days-On day 4 make 100% with the Tx water-repeat this schedule for 10-14 days-he need to stay in the Tx water in the QT container throughout the treatment period.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

Keep us posted......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #4 
12thletter

Thanks for the reply!

Just to clarify the scales are only raised by the enlarged eye and the biggest bump on the right side of his head. I tried to take the best pictures I could but he has a dark grey/black face so it is hard. I also included two pictures of his former roommate who has began to grow a bump behind his right eye. Should I also do the same epsom salt/tannis/etc water changes with him? The sickest fish (dark blue) still is a little less active today and still has a good appetite though he looks kind of skinny. The least affected fish is still feeling good and has built a bubble nest in his isolation tank lol. I will do the water changes today I just have to go purchase epsom salt. I have a log that releases tannis.

Thanks again!

Elle

Sickest fish (Milton):

Bishop:

Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 
12thletter

Ooops, I meant to attach this on as well:

Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

do as OFL said. epsom salt, immeidately. dissolve before adding, and bump it up to 3 teaspoons per gallon (have him in a 1 gallon container floating in the tank), over the course of 12-24 hours. The popeye, can be from trauma, aka running into something, or from water quality. 100% daily water changes...

The raised scales sound like dropsy, which is caused by organ failure. BUT it is worth trying to save him anyways, if it is.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 
12thletter

Okay, I have the solution ready I'm just waiting for the driftwood to seep. Why is a 1 gallon best? I have a 2.5 and I am using a small non adjustable heater. The water temp is 77 right now. I am afraid if I put him into a 3/4 in gallon (closest I have to a 1 gallon) that it will get too hot. I have a suctioned leaf thing that I put in there in case he gets tired and needs to rest near the surface. What are your thoughts?