Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1 
masshiimarro

gahhh this poor guys been withering away.. D:

hey guys, its been a while. ive been in college and now im finally on break so i can really figure out whats going on with my crowntail. my crowntail bettas been really off lately, hes been slowly declining in health. he gets chronic finrot and salt or meds havent done anything for him. if anything, it stresses him out more. nothing im doing seems to be helping him. tried the garlic trick, didnt eat the food. water changes and such, no improvement. tried feeding bloodworms to improve diet, not really working. in all hes still enthusiastic about food, but hes been pretty lethargic and lost some color. his rays used to be so full, but now they are just stringy, which i think is cuz hes just been so sick. oh, and during this summer hes had a divider accident and had some of his fins torn up by his divided buddy. it WAS growing back, but since his health has been going downhill the new growth stopped. what do i do.....

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal divided 3 way
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? yeah
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? fellow divider buddies and nerites

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aquaculture pellets and bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? heavily planted natural tank, changed water every 1 1/2-2 weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
dont remember the parameters, just remember that they are all within safe numbers.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? thinned out, stringy rays, lost color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 1/2 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? everything above..
Does your fish have any history of being ill? hes had a few torn fins before, but always healed.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 yearish

OH and before i forget, heres a current pic of him for reference. he ate one too many bloodworms before i took this pic, so hes a bit bloated :o
the second one is what he used to look like, before all of this has happened.
Attached Images

masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
Luimeril

how's his poo? can you get him in a bare-bottom tank of his own to check? if there's no other reason, parasites come to mind. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah one of my males became really emaciated no matter what he was eating and starting losing his colour and condition - tail started disintegrating and wounds weren't healing as fast as I'd like.

I gave him a go over with some treatment for worms and within a couple of days he was back to normal. Nowadays he doesn't even look like the same fish. Because of this, I always treat for internal parasites first if one of my fish starts to lose weight and condition.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #4 
masshiimarro

yeah. thats what i thought too when this first started happening.. but his poo is normal. D: ive had him in a cup for observation for a week or 2 in the beginning, but the poop came out normal. and if it was parasites, wouldnt that also affect his tankmates? they dont act or look any different. throwing it out there, but do you guys think maybe its possibly bad genetics or low immune system?
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote