Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #1 
SilverMagnolia

Ten Gallon Tan and Two Fish!

So, I recently posted a question about whether or not I should separate my two Betta. I quickly ran out and got a plastic mesh "screen" that I then cut down to size and stuck in my ten gallon tank to separate my adult female veiltail and my baby (gender unknown)... It was a quick job and the screen is only held up by the walls of the tank and tape. It worked, until I saw my baby Betta on the wrong side! I figured it wasn't worth it to fix it at the time, so I left the divider out for a day. Now keep in mind, I had figured it was very secure, without any holes that my Baby could slip through. Then I noticed their behavior changed, the Baby Betta was actually "picking on" the adult. Weird? So I seperated them again, same screen but I re-taped it. Baby Kim some how slipped through once more! I am going to get a better divider, but they seem to be really interested in the fish on the other side. Any suggestions? Maybe a different screen? I want them each to be happy.

PS - Typo in the title... It's meant to read "Ten Gallon Tank and Two Fish!"

Last edited by SilverMagnolia; 01-04-2012 at 07:29 PM.
SilverMagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 
SilverMagnolia

I use the same screening as shown in this tutorial...

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 
erinandares

I don't know exactly how you have your divider set up, but the problem that jumps out to me is the tape... The adhesive is probably not strong enough to last in the water. Honestly, if I were you, I'd drain the tank and set the two bettas up in temp. homes for a couple days while you seal it up with actual aquarium sealant. Did you use the report binder things?
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #4 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinandares View Post
I don't know exactly how you have your divider set up, but the problem that jumps out to me is the tape... The adhesive is probably not strong enough to last in the water. Honestly, if I were you, I'd drain the tank and set the two bettas up in temp. homes for a couple days while you seal it up with actual aquarium sealant. Did you use the report binder things?
Yes I also agree, get a temporary house for them. Separated. You could get a storage tub and fill it a bit, put the heater in there get the right temperature and then add the two bettas in their houses to the tub. The water will keep them at proper temperatures. You could buy critter keepers since they are cheap.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #5 
SilverMagnolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinandares View Post
Like I mentioned briefly, I used tape. The tape is out of water and quite strong. Also, it is a temporary divider before I can complete the final version which will include the report binder... things. I do not want to use sealant of any kind because I want to later open up my tank to use as a community tank. Your suggestion is simply to remove them completely until I have finished setting up the divider?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #6 
SilverMagnolia

My number one question right now would be... Do you think that the mesh divider will be good? Or will their curiosity be too overwhelming? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be good to use? I really do not want to use any form of sealant.

Last edited by SilverMagnolia; 01-05-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #7 
erinandares

Well, after the report binders go in, it should be easier to keep the divider up. The edges will be sturdier, and the gravel should be allright to hold up the middle so it doesn't try and fall on you. The plastic mesh will be fine. Plenty of people use it without problems. c: If you aren't using sealant at all, you can keep them in the tank because it won't have to be dried out for the sealant. But I would still get the report binders as soon as you possibly can. One or both of them might have to be floated in the tank in a cup to prevent them from getting at one another and still keep them warm. Betta fish are very curious, they'll continue to try and check out what's on the other side.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote