Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #1 
Devanta

Unhappy Red lining to tail appeared in the last two hours

So, Ryou is my pink veil-tail. I've had no problems with him before until just this last week. And now, just within the last two hours, a red, almost some sort of growth or something has appeared on the end of his tail. He's been lethargic for the last couple days, and hiding, which he never used to do. I'll post a pic when I can figure out how to do it.

EDIT:

Pretty sure its fin rot. This is my first time dealing with a sick beta - what should I do?

Last edited by Devanta; 01-05-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: situation update
Devanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having trouble with your betta. If you could fill out the questionnaire below, we may be able to help you better. Also, if you can attach a photo of this red lining in question, that would be super!

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 
bahamut285

Hello Devanta, welcome to the forum

Please fill out the forum that earthworm has kindly provided.

I read your previous post in the care section, and I would assume it is either a cold or water quality problem. Unless your bowls are enormous, 100% a week is not enough to combat ammonia buildup.

Ammonia is a toxic substance that is produced by fish waste and if left unattended can claim lives quickly.

Considering this post is 7 hours ago (Also I expect nobody to be on this forum at 8am local time, lol) I will check back later.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 
Devanta

Housing
What size is your tank? Its a glass bowl, I assume a 1.2 litre tank. I don't actually know
What temperature is your tank? I don't have the apperatus to check, but I assume its about 77 or 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bio-Gold pellets, sometimes bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 5-7 pellets (he's a big fish)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I actually don't have the stuff to check all these things, I never knew that they needed to be watched :/ I don't know what to get for it either.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, some sort of red edging has appeared at the edge of his tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's lethargic most of the time now and hides a lot, when he used to be a super social fish
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope, too scared of using the wrong treatment x.x
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope, first ill fish
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe five or six months old

I can't get a clear picture so I took a vid, but I can't attach it :/ I'm going to try again when I get home using a different camera.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 
bahamut285

Good morning Devanta, what is your home's AIR temperature? Water is usually a few degrees colder. The approximate size of your bowl is important as well.

As for testing your water, you can either purchase strips or the API master kit (liquid drops). For additional information please check out the water chemistry guide in my signature, it explains it in layman's terms :)

Red streaking is generally indicative of ammonia poisoning.

I would recommend to start doing daily 100% water changes for the next few days to see if his problem clears up!

Last edited by bahamut285; 01-05-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #6 
Devanta

I've moved him into a smaller, warmer bowl. My house was freezing when I got home and I never even thought....I'm just taking two minutes here before moving the rest of my brood into smaller, warmer bowls until I can pick up some heaters - any suggestions on that?

Ryou already seems happier, moving more and whatnot, but his tail is worrying me and I just fed him but he only ate one of his pellets, and he's normally a big eater. Does that red edging look like it could be amonia poisoning? Or tail rot? Gonna go shift my other boys now, post back soon!!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #7 
bahamut285

It could be either or. In any case, the treatment is clean water every day~ Maybe you could take a look at the two disease stickies located at the top of this section to help you out, too.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #8 
earthworm88

Devanta,

Bahamut had given good advice so far. Just wanting to stress that the temperature in the water your bettas are in must be quite constant or they will go into shock due to temp. fluctuations. Since you are from Vic, BC, the temperature must be freezing by now (brrrrrrrrr), unless you keep your house temp really high like 25C or above, the only way to ensure your bettas do not suffer is to get them at least a bigger tank that will allow you to install the heaters in them.

Since you already have about a 1/4 gal tank, any smaller you are going to go back to the cuppy size again, this unfortunately will let the water temp drop faster and not the best environment for your fish. If you have any known measuring cups in the kitchen or known volume of drinking bottles, try to fill up your bowl and figure the size that way, this will help also in the event you need to treat your betta, so you would know how much dosage of "medicines" to put.

For now, the 1.2L tank you have, the water has to be changed 100% daily to ensure the ammonia doesn't have a chance to collect and affect your betta (this is usually slow moving, so you won't notice anything wrong immediately). If the damage hasn't been done for too long, simply clean warm water daily will reverse the problem, and your betta will be very happy again.

Good luck! Looks like your Ryou is a beautiful pink VT!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #9 
Devanta

He is a rarity in himself, especially when he's happy :) He likes to give me cooking advice when I move him to hang out in the kitchen, and dances when I play music. I've warmed him up now, and he's behaving better. He's not just laying in the bottom of his bowl now. ^.^

Do you think it will be okay to keep him in a smaller bowl if its kept warm over the next few days for cleaning up? The constant water changing is going to be a hassle for him and me, and it stresses him out. I've got a pair of bowls that are wide instead of deep, gives about three or four inches of water to move in, they're 8" wide so he's got room to move. Until he's better, it'll be easier to keep an eye on him this way. Will that hurt him?

I'm picking up Stress Coat tomorrow for him, as well. I keep hearing that might help him out. I've also started working on a backstock of filtered water for him, because I had a realization today that scared me. Drinking water from the tap here makes me feel ill because it tastes like mold. How can I have been expecting my fish to be okay in it? I feel so stupid for that one, but it's changing now.

Do you know if the "5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips" are any good?

As well, I'm starting on a project of joint tanks. Ryou's not going to be that lucky for another month or so, but I want to be 100% that he's healthy before he goes in with Azazel. Will the red simply go away as he gets healthier? I'm assuming that's how this works. :/

I feel like such a paranoid parent right now. I've been scouring the internet for, like, five hours. I want all the information I can get on keeping a clean, happy tank. x.x Petstore lady totally lied when she told me beta's were easy, but now I'm too in love with my boys to turn back.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #10 
earthworm88

Haha...he sounds like a cutie and a knowledgeable chef himself!
I think it is fine to keep him in the smaller bowl until you can upgrade him. However, daily water changes may be required still ideally, that's one of the reason why most people will keep them in bigger tanks to reduce the frequency of water change to avoid the unnecessary stress to your betta. It very much depends on the personality of your betta as well. The 8" bowl sounds fine, that's actually better as I think they prefer to swim back and forth vs. up and down, so between the choice of a deep narrow bowl vs and wide flat bowl, I would personally choose the latter.

Sorry to hear about your tap water problem, but keep in mind that filtered water may not be the healthiest for them depending on how strong the filter is since the bettas required regular minerals and such in the water for them to thrive as well.

The 5 in 1 test strips work fine overall although not as accurate as liquid tests, but it will give you some general guidelines in a pinch.

I understand what you mean about being paranoid. Yes, the streaks will likely reversed slowly once the environment is healthy again. I agree, a lot of the people selling these bettas don't even know what they are talking about which is a shame really as they mislead the general public into thinking that bettas are like decors, just leave it there and nothing needs to be done.

Good luck and enjoy!

Tags
growth on tail, hides a lot, red growth, unknown