Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #11 
Rex and Flower

You said it. so very true
Rex and Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
Hahaha, I'm not much of a confrontational person. :P Plus it seemed kind of rude for a teenager to go all off on an office full of vet assitants for improper animal care... though it would have been hilarious. xD Sending them a letter sounds nice though. :)

(By the way, I see you're from NS... I'm a bluenoser as well! :P)
If you're in NS, that would be AWESOME if this vet was close to me! I'd handle it for you :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #13 
Tangeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
If you're in NS, that would be AWESOME if this vet was close to me! I'd handle it for you :)
Hahaha, the place was called Sunnyview Animal Care Centre.

Last edited by Tangeh; 01-19-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Tangeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
I would have pulled your vet to the side where no one else could hear and asked him a simple question. " How do you suggest fin rot is treated?"

I totally agree.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #15 
Leeniex

I would at the very least send them an email with a link to some info. They certainly don't hesitate to point out anything WE do wrong with OUR pets.

(btw my cat is NOT fat, lol)
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #16 
revolutionrocknroll

The thing about professionals, and I've always wondered this about doctors I've gone to see, is that you don't know if they were at the top of their class in med/vet school or if they just barely passed. xD I'm in animal science at UVM, and while some people in the Pre-vet program are REALLY smart, there are others... let's just say I wouldn't want them treating my pets...
I know this is kind of off topic, but in some cases, don't be surprised about their lack of knowledge on certain things.

Last edited by revolutionrocknroll; 01-20-2012 at 08:35 AM.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #17 
BettaMommy531rip

I would have walked in there and said "you treat the fish or I take the fish." LOLs. I crazy. But still I think they deserve better.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #18 
Gen2387

Yeah... It happens. Vet clinics are specialized in small animals which means dogs and cats. Which means that when they went to university they did see fish, birds and big mammals such as farm animals but they decided to specialize in small animals (dogs and cats) so they didn't actually study the needs of exotic animals such as tank size, need of heater, etc. Vets don't know everything about every animals, they specialize in certain species.

The best thing you could do is go back there and explain nicely to the person in front the needs for bettas. I'm sure they would listen, people who work there are animal lovers so they want what's best for them (believe me, i work in a vet hospital). They probably didn't know like most of the people out there who own bettas.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #19 
Laki

Even exotic vets who are specially trained to treat small rodents, rabbits, birds and reps are probably ill informed whrn it comes to fish. I know there are vets who can practice on large long-life fish like oscars and what have you but when it comes to betta and goldfish they really are just cheaper to replace (unfortunately). So vets would rather make real money treating "real" pets.. :/ It's sad because our bettas mean so much to us.
I'm sorry about what you saw, perhaps you can phone call them, send them a letter (factsheet attached) or get the courage and very politely and kindly ask them about the necessity of keeping betta in such unhealthy environments.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
sounds like the betta that is kept at a store, in a vase, unheated, with a bamboo. Filthy, rot, was laying on it's side. Couldn't swim if it wanted to, a huge statue took up the entire vase.
Their comment "oh, he's not sick, he's just old, he's more than 5 years".

Uh huh...

o_o I've had bettas between 4-7 years. And never looked like THAT. sure they get a little duller than usual, and tak more naps... >.>
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote