Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #21 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Even exotic vets who are specially trained to treat small rodents, rabbits, birds and reps are probably ill informed whrn it comes to fish. I know there are vets who can practice on large long-life fish like oscars and what have you but when it comes to betta and goldfish they really are just cheaper to replace (unfortunately). So vets would rather make real money treating "real" pets.. :/ It's sad because our bettas mean so much to us.
I'm sorry about what you saw, perhaps you can phone call them, send them a letter (factsheet attached) or get the courage and very politely and kindly ask them about the necessity of keeping betta in such unhealthy environments.
Most vets that will work on koi, oscars, and other long-lived fish will also work on goldfish. They are actually much longer-lived that most people think. This is because those who treat them well can expect to get about 10 years out of them. On a goldfish site I frequent there is an article about a fish vet who do wen-reduction surgery on a goldfish.

In terms of vets that will look at long-lived fish, I know one guy in my area who will give pond advice and then another guy about 1.5 hours south who will work on koi. I'm willing to bet that most large public aquariums have some kind of fish vet. With the amount of fish they hold and the expenses of getting fish in from the wild, I would want to protect that investment.

But as far as your local vet, I really think they should have some basic knowledge about fish such as bettas need heaters and goldfish need at least 55 gal tanks. Just my two cents.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree with koimaiden on the basic fish knowledge. Some people just don't get things very clearly though. As a professional in animals, no matter the kind, they should look at the dirty water and clearly be able to see that "huh that's not good". Some people don't. The best you can do is try to explain things to them. Some people won't listen, but at least others might.

Our soup kitchen, Martha's Table, has a 15-20gal tank. It's filled with green water, and these huge, convict cichlids, some other random fish, couldn't even see them but they don't belong in that small tank. I decided that after my exams when I start going there again, I'm gonna offer to rehome the fish and buy her new, better suited ones, or at least clean it out. She's a nice lady, she prolly doesn't have time, or know better, and knowing her someone prolly dumped the tank on her. ^^ so yay, volunteering to save fishies!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #23 
Bombalurina

That's how a friend of mine runs a business. ^^ She finds people with totally inappropriate stocking and offers to rehome the fish, restock and redecorate the tank and does so. You can have a look at her work on Acumen Aquatics on facebook - she does some lovely stuff. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #24 
Sena Hansler

I noticed...here in town.....most people don't know what TROPICAL means. They think it means exotic aka foreign fish.... x.x
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #25 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
That's how a friend of mine runs a business. ^^ She finds people with totally inappropriate stocking and offers to rehome the fish, restock and redecorate the tank and does so. You can have a look at her work on Acumen Aquatics on facebook - she does some lovely stuff. :)
I had to have a peek at her work! That is an amazing job, and she does fantastic work. Beautiful tanks. Does she also do the upkeep on tanks or does she teach the owner?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #26 
Bombalurina

The businesses pay her to do upkeep, I think. Some owners do their own, but some people who set up their own tanks also ask her to do upkeep for them. She ended up looking after a saltwater tank that way. :) I'm so envious of her! All those outlets for MTS!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #27 
khatlady

Say something! or send an anonymous letter to their office! Don't let the poor fish suffer! Crazy vet!
khatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #28 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
wow!! Great work!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote