Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 
Breshiki

Question betta afraid of gravel accents

My betta's been sick and is just recently coming around from it. As a little treat I decided to go out and buy two new plants that would better for his fins and provided more hiding spots for him to feel safer. I also bought some small red shiny pebble pieces to decorate his gravel.

I put the plants in and he was soon swimming around them. I started dropping in some of the red pebbles (on the opposite side of the tank) and he raced over and tried to attack one of the falling pieces with no luck. I spread the pieces out over the gravel and figured after a few hours he would be ok.

While he don't attack the pieces, he refuses to go to the bottom of the tank. When he does go down there he goes down, looks the gravel, then backs up. I tried to mix the pieces with the gravel so there wasn't as much, but he's still the same. There's red in his plants, in his little coral hideout, and the heater has a red light that kicks on.

Can he seriously be afraid of the pebbles? Should I just take them out or wait a little longer????
Breshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 
Badjer

I'd say just give him time...it can take fish awhile to get used to new decor. (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #3 
TequilatheBetta

Try taking them out, then taking him out, then putting them back in while he's still out of the tank. It may be because you dropped them in, so he thought they are some weird alien intruders ? :)
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 
bettafish15

It's because the pebbles are shiny, he might see a warped version of his reflection and get spooked. Something similar happened when I added shiny pebbles to one of my tanks. ;) He'll get over it.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #5 
Dali Kalak

That's kind of cute, actually. Bettas are so curious and silly. :) I think he'll get used to it soon. That idea that the pebbles could be "intruders" is pretty good, too. Sounds right to me.
Dali Kalak is offline   Reply With Quote