Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #1 
Nippyfish

Question Negative Reaction to BettaFix? (or MelaFix?)

Im wondering if anyone has ever experienced a negative reaction in their bettas from BettaFix, MelaFix or similar medications that utilize Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil). Over the last 6 or 7 years I have heard of stories about melaleuca allergies, repertory/gill problems and spasms in betta fish. The story is that BettaFix is diluted BECAUSE of just that reason. I tried to call API and ask them for their research, but I missed their business hours. I always caution people when using it, but am careful to tell them the claims are unsubstantiated. Id love to put it to rest. Has anyone here ever witnessed a negative reaction in their betta? Can you elaborate on the details if you have?

Thanks so much!
Nippyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #2 
callmeconfused

I hope this isn't true! I am using it to treat a girl with damaged fins.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #3 
Nippyfish

It may not be true callmeconfused. It's one of those things that have floated around the web for a long time. Just curious what individuals experiences have been. :)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Bettafix & Melafix is proven to harm a bettas labryinth organ over a short period of time using it. I think bettafix is just diluted and sold "for bettas" is just to make more money.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

I've heard the big problem with betta's is that BettaFix doesn't help heal them that much. It actually damages their Labyrinth organs and causes breathing problems.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #6 
nowzem

I read that there is NO evidence to substantiate that it damages labyrinths. I've used it for years to treat gouramis/other anabatids. I use it with my bettas and will until one has an adverse reaction to make me reconsider my choice. IMO, ANY med can have adverse effects..just like with people. Bettafix is a waste of money...just dilute the Melafix yourself. I have one betta who appears to not like the melafix, however I can't ask him if that's why he's grumpy...so I can't be sure :) But none of my fish have ever shown signs of an allergy or respiratory problems. I think dosing is key. Bettas may actually be more sensitive to it than other fish, so I always underdose my melafix (about 1 drop per half gallon/gallon) Best bet:if it makes you nervous, don't use it ;)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #7 
Nippyfish

I do know of a study that proves Melaleuca shortens the healing time of open wounds in ocean fish (I'll see if I can find it), but it sounds like all the betta related stuff is still hearsay.

For me, it's not about using it... I'm trying to clear up or confirm the rumor for my website. Maybe I'll try and reach API again today.

Please continue to share your personal stories about Betta/Melafix. Any information helps.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

When I first started keeping bettas I used it on a fish that had his tank knocked over...It didn't really do anything for him..It just scented the water I think?haha
My sister tried to use it on her fish for mild finrot and he died.......I can't be 100% positive if it was the cause or not though...
Because of this I have stopped using bettafix...

I have found that I have better luck treating minor problems with aquarium salt and daily water changes...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #9 
nowzem

In my personal experience...it helps them heal more quickly. Fin rot..well, you can't use melafix because it wont fix the root problem. Also, I think it may be detrimental to a fish who is already close to death. They cannot handle the change in water, whether it be clean and additive free or not. They are already under too much stress to handle a chemical additive like melafix. I only use it to treat torn fins and fish on their way to recovery.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i've heard, from people who have owned bettas for a long, long time, that it causes a film to form over the water, that burns their labyrinth organ and damages it severely, often causing death. i'd rather NOT risk hurting my fish with medications, and i do things the way OFL does. :d salt and clean water.
Luimeril is online now   Reply With Quote