Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #191 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasht View Post
When they were fry I just fed them walter worms and when they became juvy I switched to grindal worm (which I still use). I don't think I'll feed them flakes cause I like pellets (crushed or not) better than flakes

I harvest my walter worms by swabbing them with a Q-tip then submerging it in water then using an eye drop to suck them up and in to the tank
I see. As a new Betta keeper when I was still doing research I noticed that bettas hate flakes. They always spit them out. I was maybe thinking that while hey were young maybe to try them. Just to see if they might grow to like them. Of course they will rather have pellets than flakes anyway, but Just as an experiment, I would want to try this.

I usually use bbs for them all through, but now I think I will try some worms because I have heard so many amazing things about them. And how make the fry's color a brighter and vibrant color with very full extension of their fins as well.

What about the jarred males you have. Are their fins pretty long?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #192 
Fasht

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I see. As a new Betta keeper when I was still doing research I noticed that bettas hate flakes. They always spit them out. I was maybe thinking that while hey were young maybe to try them. Just to see if they might grow to like them. Of course they will rather have pellets than flakes anyway, but Just as an experiment, I would want to try this.

I usually use bbs for them all through, but now I think I will try some worms because I have heard so many amazing things about them. And how make the fry's color a brighter and vibrant color with very full extension of their fins as well.

What about the jarred males you have. Are their fins pretty long?
I have tried the flakes and like you said, they do spit them out. For the BBS vs Grindal Worms I have heard that BBS CAN cause SBD and missing ventrals/pectoral fins (not sure which one). My experience with grindal worms is no matter how much they eat it they do get bloated but so far I haven't seen any fry that has SBD but, I have 2 fry that has spine issues, maybe, just maybe it contributes to that, unless they really just got unlucky =(

The jarred males have been put back in the tank, I don't really wanna deal with floppy tupper ware jar tanks lol. but 2 of them have really perked up. I'll post some pictures either tonight or tomorrow night.
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #193 
Kelly0727

Quote:
I have tried the flakes and like you said, they do spit them out. For the BBS vs Grindal Worms I have heard that BBS CAN cause SBD and missing ventrals/pectoral fins (not sure which one). My experience with grindal worms is no matter how much they eat it they do get bloated but so far I haven't seen any fry that has SBD but, I have 2 fry that has spine issues, maybe, just maybe it contributes to that, unless they really just got unlucky =(

The jarred males have been put back in the tank, I don't really wanna deal with floppy tupper ware jar tanks lol. but 2 of them have really perked up. I'll post some pictures either tonight or tomorrow night.
Thats actually really interesting because I was reading another log the other night about missing fins... and she was saying that microworms cause that. All she did was give them micro worms and none of hers has ventral fins. I had no clue about bbs causing that as well.. Maybe thats why some people say to mix up the diet?
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #194 
Fasht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly0727 View Post
Thats actually really interesting because I was reading another log the other night about missing fins... and she was saying that microworms cause that. All she did was give them micro worms and none of hers has ventral fins. I had no clue about bbs causing that as well.. Maybe thats why some people say to mix up the diet?

yeah! your right lol! my bad, I mixed those 2 up, it's the Micro worms that causes that and BBS is SBD. Thanks for the correction
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #195 
Kelly0727

Quote:
yeah! your right lol! my bad, I mixed those 2 up, it's the Micro worms that causes that and BBS is SBD. Thanks for the correction
Oh so it was the micro worms that cause that? Well that means 2 different types of foods that arent apperently that good.. You know my mom always told me, "No matter what, at some point the world will say its bad and years later its good again. So dont waste your life avoiding tasty food" I wonder if that goes for fish XD Maybe the side effects never happen if the food is switched up every couple days?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #196 
Fasht

It shouldn't be bad if you serve it every other day. What from I read, micro worms doesn't have the nutritional value that the fry actually needs, thats why they don't develop their ventral fins. So I just thought logically that, why would I need 2 types of food if I can only use 1 and no complications will take place. That's why I chose walter worms and they pretty much look the same to me anyway lol
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #197 
Kelly0727

That would make sense lol go with the easiest way. I'm still trying to figure out which are best, but a seller on ebay is selling micro, walter, and bananna worms so.. I might just end up having a very big selection lol.

I wonder if it's ok to give to older bettas.. I know my boys would love to munch on anything alive and moving.

Anyway I know it hasent been that long but any update on your fry? Especally the DT's?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #198 
Fasht

They should be able to eat it aslong as they could see them but if you want to feed your fry live foods you can try feeding them grindal worms, i used that too to condition my betta before breeding.

Nt much has changed either still the same except that they're starting to nip each other so iwould prolly be needing better jars soon.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #199 
tpocicat

What I read about microworms is that it is the bacteria from dead microworms that cause the ventrals not to form. I feed my fry microworms just before a water change so that hopefully, I suck up all the microworms that the fry didn't eat before bacteria forms. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #200 
Fasht

Ah, that can be a possibility too, but that can also mean that it can happen to any other worms that you feed the betta