Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #1 
LoveMyBettas8885

New boy... I HAD to save him :(

I went to an aquarium store tonight and it was SO bad! they had like 10 dead bettas. I couldn't believe it. I walked around and looked at the other fish and there were so many dead ones. This place has never had this many dead fish. I was so surprised! So sad. I ended up buying one which was labeled "Male roundtail" I think it's a halfmoon, he's got good n. So I came home, put him in my 2.5 and he started floating on his side... everything looks fine except for that. What should I do? or what could this be?
LoveMyBettas8885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

For now just let him adjust.

Did you acclimate him to the new water source and temperature at all or just plop him in?

It's definitely SBD, but the cause could be care at the store, temperature shock, or adjusting to new water source.

Keep things dark and warm and let him have some time to sort things out. If he's not improving by tomorrow, then start him on SBD treatment. 1 tsp/gal epsom salt predissolved before adding.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 
LoveMyBettas8885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
For now just let him adjust.

Did you acclimate him to the new water source and temperature at all or just plop him in?

It's definitely SBD, but the cause could be care at the store, temperature shock, or adjusting to new water source.

Keep things dark and warm and let him have some time to sort things out. If he's not improving by tomorrow, then start him on SBD treatment. 1 tsp/gal epsom salt predissolved before adding.

I acclimated him a little bit, not at much as I should've. I honestly just wanted to get him out of the dirty water he was in. I'm sorry but what's SBD? He's gotten better. I turned off the filter to let him adjust a little bit and he's swimming around but when I come close to the tank he hides behind the filter (although it's turned off).
LoveMyBettas8885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 
Tobythefish

SBD is Swim Bladder Disorder. Good luck, I hope he gets better soon:)
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Seems like it was just an acclimation issue. Just keep things constant and calm for him and he'll warm up to you. I've still got one that I got back in August that is scared of me, so sometimes it can take a while.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote