Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 
Rosso1011

Corydoras

I just wanted to start a thread about the wonderful little fish, corydoras. I personally own four corydoras agassizii (spotted) that share a tank with a small school of black neon tetras.

I have enjoyed watching my cories interact with the other fish in tank and watch as they play. Corydoras are wonderful little fish that get along with most other fish, are very social, and help keep the our substrate clean.

Anyone else share my love of Corydoras and if so which are your favorite(s)? I
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #2 
Brian10962001

They remind me of puppy dogs!
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #3 
Rosso1011

They do! The way they love to play and that excited little wiggle they do. ^_^
Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 
Super Sly

Cories are my second favorite fish...I have 3 spotted and one ecudorian cory(dont know what it actually is this is what the pet shop sold them as) The little ecudorian one i actually named puppy dog because he follows my betta around all the time instead of schooling with the spotted cories. All in all these are great fish very entertaining and active.
Forgive me if anything is mispelled Im having grammar troubles today.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #5 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sly View Post
Cories are my second favorite fish...I have 3 spotted and one ecudorian cory(dont know what it actually is this is what the pet shop sold them as) The little ecudorian one i actually named puppy dog because he follows my betta around all the time instead of schooling with the spotted cories. All in all these are great fish very entertaining and active.
Forgive me if anything is mispelled Im having grammar troubles today.
Grammar troubles forgiven, I love English but I'm not super strict on it. I personally love the spotted cories and I think it's cute that you named one puppy dog. I never really thought of their behavior that way until I saw it mentioned a couple weeks back (I think) and also today. I definitely think the analogy fits pretty well as far as their playful behavior.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 
Misakitty

I love my cories too, especially my spotted. :) I think my favorite behavior is when they head-butt each other while racing. Sometimes one will nap and the other will be bored and head-butt the sleeper until he wakes to play. They are definitely the most interesting thing in the tank to watch.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 
Rosso1011

I've never seen mine headbutt before. I know I have seen a cory zip past a sleeping cory, pushing his slightly sideways in the process. The funny thing is the sleeping cory usually just falls back into sleeping position like nothing happened.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #8 
hedgehog

I have 4 adult C. aeneus with my betta Horton. There's one albino, one bronze, and two greens with one being really light. My favorites are the albino and bronze that I got in New York and brought home with me to the midwest. We also have two juvies that were born and bred in that tank. They don't have names yet but my mom says their hers since she noticed them and cared for them while I was at college. Horton actually thinks he's a cory and raised the juvies. He would guard eggs that were laid near his usual bed and he put the little guys in this fake house after they hatched so they weren't eaten by the adults. He's very protective of his babies and spends his days swimming right over the babies. He's letting them interact more with the adults though instead of sitting between everyone. The babies primarily school together and they're quite playful. I have several fun baby cory stories if anyone is interested.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #9 
Rosso1011

That is so cool! I would love to learn about the breeding habits of corydoras. Please share your stories with us. I'm sure we would all love to hear some of the stories. I know I would. ^_^
Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #10 
hedgehog

Bronze cories, and green cories of the same species, are actually really easy to breed. We weren't exactly trying to breed but once ours started they didn't seem to stop until one of the spawning partners passed away. Usually the eggs get eaten by the adults but Horton protected these eggs. He's been raising them and they always run to him for protection. Juvies are even more active than adults and always skittering around. I don't have any pictures of the babies because anytime I pull out the camera Horton starts flaring at it. I managed to get some fabulous pictures of Horton though.

One time the little baby was sitting by himself which is unusual because he's always either near Horton or his bigger brother (they're from spawns about a week apart). He wasn't moving so my mom was really worried that he was dead. She tapped the glass near him and he swam as fast as he could to Horton and the other baby. Horton put him in his house and flared at my mom for at least 15 minutes.

If anyone has specific breeding questions though I'd be happy to try and help.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote