Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #11 
astridbby

Thank you so much. But I can't really get to the Maracyn or Aquarium Salt until tomorrow (Seeing as its 1 am). I'm doing a full water change right now, is there really anything else I can do?
astridbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Just keep the heat a little lower than normal. Otherwise, you're doing a great job and everything you can. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #13 
astridbby

Thank you so much! I don't think I can turn the heat down with the heater on it (internal thermostat). But I guess I'll just have to hold off until tomorrow, as will he.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #14 
Sakura8

He sounds like a little trooper, hanging in there. :) As long as the heat doesn't skyrocket into the 80's, he'll be fine. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #15 
astridbby

It's so awful. My mom thought he was dead (I was out today) but he was still swimming when I got home. My mom thought he was dead so she didn't put any of the medicine in.

I also couldn't find Maracyn II (I did see the Maracyn I, but I wanted to do both treatments) so I bought pimafix and melafix (I think that's what it's called, I'm eating and don't want to go touch the bottles again, and they're for fungal and bacterial problems respectively. I also read about them when I was looking for cures outside of the forum). I dosed him with the two, put aquarium salt in, and hope for the best.

He's still breathing but he's having difficulties swimming. Like he can make it to the top but sometimes he floats in awkward positions. I don't want to take too much water out because it's hard enough to decide dosing with 2 gallons. Less would be impossible.

To be honest I'm scared to do a full water change every day, he's not looking too good and I'm afraid it will stress him out more. He's fighting really hard though... Like after a while of being lethargic he starts freaking out and swimming like he can't stand just laying down (or he just really needs oxygen)

It's hard seeing whats going on in the tank because I remembered the medicine was light sensitive. So every now and again I have to really peer in and see if his gills are still rising and falling. Not much of the cottony stuff can be seen outside, but I am scared its inside his lungs worse.

My mom thinks I'm crazy (getting a new fish would be cheaper than the care for the already diseased fish) but I really don't want him to die. =(

Thank you guys for your help.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #16 
Sakura8

:( I'm sorry things are so rough right now, Astrid. I know the Maracyns are light sensitive but I don't remember if PimaFix and MelaFix are so you can probably turn a light on to look in on him. Be very careful not to overdose those two medicines, as they contain ingredients that can easily kill if overdosed. I hope they work for him, the poor fellow. He sounds pretty miserable. Hang in there, you're doing a good job.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #17 
astridbby

I'm trying not to overdose, but it's kind of hard to decide dosing in a 2 gallon tank when it's giving instructions for 10 gallons. I settled on a little less than half a tablespoon.

I'm also worried because he won't (or can't eat) =(

Thank you so much!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Okay, if you aren't sure, definitely err on the side of caution with those meds. And yeah, dosing is so hard for small tanks. :/

You could try to soak some food in garlic juice. Garlic juice is an appetite stimulant as well as a healthy source of antioxidants so maybe that will work? Poor guy. It's never a good sign when they stop eating.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #19 
astridbby

Thank you so much for the help but as 2:04 am this morning Icarus died. He was already in really bad shape so I don't think that I overdosed him or anything.

I am going to petsmart tomorrow and demanding a healthy replacement. I really want a new fish and am not ready to give up yet. I need ideas on how to disinfect the tank and make it betta friendly so this doesn't happen again.

Is it alright if I predose the tank with a tad bit of the Pimafin (or whichever one it was that is antibacterial) to make sure that even before he shows signs of sickness it will make him better or guarantee that he's okay? Or should it be alright with just a tad bit of aquarium salt?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #20 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear he passed, Astrid. :( You can wash the tank with scalding hot water and some vinegar and then if you feel that it might help, you can put some PimaFix in, let it sit overnight, and then rinse the tank to get the PimaFix out. That should pretty much disinfect everything thoroughly.

Tags
columnaris, emergency, lethargy, sick, white fuzz